Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disney/Pixar Clone Female Faces

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM
  • 14 Replies

So when I saw this picture for the new Pixar movie Inside Out,

at first I thought the characters were three women and two aliens, but after seeing the trailer I realized the purple and red things were supposed to be dudes. After tracing their faces, I figured out why I was so weirded out: 

The two male characters have extremely distinctive face shapes, while the three female characters basically have the exact same shape; round with a small nose.

Now everyone has read about the Elsa/Anna/Rapunzel face debate, but I wanted to see just how far this face thing went. And boy does it go far.

I took pictures of both male and female characters from recent Disney/Pixar movies:

And then traced both of them. Look at the diversity of male face shapes:

AND THE ABSOLUTE FUCKING RIDICULOUSNESS THAT IS SHOWN HERE:

Just take a second to scroll up and look back at the original pictures in case you think I’m joking. 

Apparently every Disney woman is a clone/direct descendant of some primordial creature with huge round cheeks and a disturbingly small nose, because there is no other explanation (yes there is(it’s lazy sexism)) for the incredible lack of diversity among these female faces.

TL;DR: Boys in animated movies have faces that are square, round, skinny, fat, alien-looking, handsome, and ugly. The only face that girls get to have is some round snub-nosed baby face. That’s not right.

http://every-flavored-bean.tumblr.com/post/112569173199/every-woman-in-every-disney-pixar-movie-in-the?utm_content=bufferf003e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:27 PM

there is no other explanation (yes there is(it’s lazy sexism)) for the incredible lack of diversity among these female faces.

[​IMG]

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM

I had to read the article when my fav comic artist posted it. She's been drawing female chracters for almost 40 years and all her women have different face shapes, noses, etc.  I remember looking through an art book she did once where several of the pages actually showed the process of making all the different face shapes. It was great.

So if she can do it so easily then how is it so freaking hard for the hundreds of animators and artists at Disney and Pixar to do it?  Just sad all around.

Quoting VooDooB:

there is no other explanation (yes there is(it’s lazy sexism)) for the incredible lack of diversity among these female faces.

[​IMG]

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Arroree:

TL;DR: Boys in animated movies have faces that are square, round, skinny, fat, alien-looking, handsome, and ugly. The only face that girls get to have is some round snub-nosed baby face. That’s not right.

The bit in red it the reason.

It is believed that audiences will accept (or empathise with) a protagonist male character despite that character being physically 'ugly', or at least 'average', whereas a fair percentage of their target audience are unaccepting of female protagonists that don't look pretty.

Look at non-animated Hollywood actors of both genders.

(Damn, I wrote a long thing here with lots of images, but it didn't post.   So go google for yourself. "male character actors", then "female character actors".   then try adding "young" or "young pretty" to your search)

LGA1165
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM

I see a lot of over thinking and making mountains out of molehills here!

For God's sake, just enjoy Disney or Pixar MOVIES! Or others.

I love them !I would rather watch them than the icky PG-13 and R rated crap that they are putting out now.

Sheeeeesh!

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It isn't over thinking to recognize an issue and the fact that 2 of the biggest animation companies out there are putting out all these movies with men of various images but all women looking the same IS a mountain, not a molehill. This sort of thing DOES send a message to our children and it's a message that sticks with them.

It's no different than hollywood only hiring super thin super pretty women to act in movies and shows. Heck even the show Ugly Betty had a gorgeous actress play the part and just did their best to "ugly" her up rather than just hire a less than pretty actress to do it.

Heck, the lead animator at Disney flat out stated that all their women look the same because "it's just too hard to animate women to show different emotions and stay pretty" so they don't bother to try, just throw different colors at the same model and say "ta-da new lady" It's crap, it's absolute laziness and a complete disregard for women as people and not just pretty objects.

Quoting LGA1165:

I see a lot of over thinking and making mountains out of molehills here!

For God's sake, just enjoy Disney or Pixar MOVIES! Or others.

I love them !I would rather watch them than the icky PG-13 and R rated crap that they are putting out now.

Sheeeeesh!

LGA1165
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Gee, just reading posts at CM makes me feel that I am well adjusted and pretty darn happy!

This is not a problem.

Kids don't think like women who feel that they are being mistreated in CARTOON FILMS! They just feel the joy and the affection and the humor!

Wow.

MyMyOhMy
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Is it just me or do all the female traces look like breasts? 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Quoting LGA1165:

Gee, just reading posts at CM makes me feel that I am well adjusted and pretty darn happy!

This is not a problem.

Kids don't think like women who feel that they are being mistreated in CARTOON FILMS! They just feel the joy and the affection and the humor!

Wow.

If anyone should be facepalming right now it's me. No, kids don't feel the same as "women who feel that they are being mistreated in CARTOON FILMS" but they DO take in the information presented to them and it DOES stay with them as they get older and it DOES have an effect on how they think, feel and see things as adults.

Just as if a child only ever see's blonde people, seeing people with other colored hair will be seen as something strange or not belonging.  Always having the female charcters in animations have the same face makes any female character with a different face seem strange and not ok.

Even with my own children i've noticed this problem. After years of disney and pixar being the main movie makers they saw movies by, getting them to watch animated movies by other companies, well you'd think it was something freakishly wrong. I constantly heard mutters of "this looks weird" "why does the guy look funny" "the girl looks strange" etc.

So yeah, kids ARE effected by this stuff and it is good to be aware of that.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

Is it just me or do all the female traces look like breasts? 

LOL you're right, they do.

cleansedbyglory
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:12 AM

i so wanna see the movie! looks like a real cute and funny movie! lol....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)