Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree with Boston College's bookstore's decision to pull Fifty Shades off of his shelves?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM
  • 40 Replies

Bookstore Bans 'Fifty Shades of Grey'

There's at least one place in the country where you can take refuge from Fifty Shades of Grey mania: Boston College's bookstore. The Catholic university store has pulled all copies of E.L. James' trilogy from its shelves after a recent complaint.

The bookstore has reportedly been selling (and selling out) copies of Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, and Fifty Shades Freed for many months, but the release of the first film in the trilogy sparked even more interest in the book and alerted university officials to the fact that it is being sold in the store.

BC is a private Jesuit Catholic university and, as such, isn't on board with promoting a book that goes against Catholic values. Not only is premarital sex considered sinful in Catholicism, but the type of sadistic relationship Anastasia Steele agrees to carry out with Christian Grey isn't viewed as loving or appropriate by most followers of the faith.

The university didn't reportedly ask that the book be pulled, but the bookstore decided that was the best call—and they are right.

More from The Stir: Libraries Banning '50 Shades of Grey' Are Only Hurting Themselves (VIDEO)

Many of us can easily rattle off the titles of at least 10 incredible books that contain sexual themes and scenes, but we feel their artistic and academic value outweighs the dirty stuff and we'd hate to see them banned from any bookstore. How I feel about Fifty Shades isn't important here. If Boston College's bookstore decided to ban The Scarlet Letter tomorrow, it has every right to do so.

BC students pay top dollar to attend the religious institution and several do so because they agree with the faith-based values the school promotes. If any object to this book being removed from shelves, they can easily find it at nearly every other bookstore and online store in the stratosphere.

Do you agree with Boston College's bookstore's decision to pull Fifty Shades off of his shelves?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't care it is a horribly written book and how it became such a hit I just don't know?!  There are thousands of erotica and S&M books that are much better if that is what someone is looking for why people chose this garbage is crazy!  Plus it is a private institution they can do what they want they aren't banning it from campus just not selling it in their store. 

Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Meh
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Yes. 

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd love to see a poll to know how many followers of the faith don't find the story to be loving or appropriate. I'm sure there are quite a few who do considering how popular the series has become.

I don't see the big deal. As a private school, they are free to decide what the students should and should not be exposed to. That said, if the students really want to read it, there are lots of other places that do sell it, they can go there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM
6 moms liked this
No, I'm not for any book banning. Ever. They can do want they want of course.

I wonder if they sell bibles. The sex and violence in THAT book is seriously jacked up.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't call this a ban, and I support their right not to sell it. 

I'd feel differently if this were a public library, even though those books are crap.  

LGA1165
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:23 PM

NO I don't agree with that. I don't agree with banning books at all.

MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:50 PM
The book should be banned for being so poorly written!

But no, I don't support book bans.
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Private Jesuit college.

Their right to do something like that.

Of course, I wouldn't send my kid to a college that would so restrict their ability to explore the world. 

cleansedbyglory
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:53 PM

YES!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)