Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snow Days Are a Plot Against Religion

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM
  • 48 Replies

Fox News now thinks that snow days are a plot against religion

"This is what happens when liberal academic Boston meets ethnic Boston" 

Fox News now thinks that <em>snow days</em> are a plot against religion (Credit: Fox News)

On Monday’s edition of Fox News’ “Outnumbered,” hosts Jedediah Bila and Andrea Tantaros, along with guest Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) discussed the hidden liberal agenda behind snow days.

They were responding to news that a town near Boston, MA had recently opted to eliminate two Jewish holidays and one Christian holiday from the remaining school year instead of extending it into late June. As of Sunday evening, Boston has officially had its snowiest winter ever, resulting in an exorbitant number of snow days.

Bila argued that schools should start earlier instead of eliminating holidays to “avoid angering this religious group or that religious group.

Duffy argued that there were ulterior motives in scheduling snow days to begin with. “That makes too much sense,” he said. “Don’t let any good crisis go to waste, and if you want to take religion out of the public square, look at Boston and look at all the snow and say, ‘What a great reason now, we can take these religious holidays out of our school system… It’s using the crisis to the liberal benefit.”

“I think the congressman hit the nail on the head,” said Tantaros. “This is what happens when liberal academic Boston meets ethnic Boston.”

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PerseyG
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Ms. Tantaros had a terrible nose job. I cant stop staring at her nose.

Was she saying something?
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Our district builds in snow days that do not correspond with other scheduled holidays.  Is it possible this happened and they just had too many to make up?  

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Our district builds in snow days that do not correspond with other scheduled holidays.  Is it possible this happened and they just had too many to make up?  

Yes.

Our district does that too, but they go by the calendar in a specific order, depending on when the snow days occur.  We ran into this when we had Hurricane Sandy, because the kids were out for a week but it was only October, all the days were lost.  They lost President's Day, two days from Spring break, and something else, I forget what.  We had three days built in that year, they added another day the following year to make it four before having to do makeups.

There are issues with extending the school year, because it interferes with graduation plans, and many people who work in school (and go to school) are involved in summer camps, so they can't be in two places at once.  The districts strive hard not to have an extension.

These people who think it's a liberal issue are nuts.  

Ms.KitKat
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this

"Duffy argued that there were ulterior motives in scheduling snow days to begin with."

Um-yeah- for SNOW! The Boston area had 9 feet of it-the snowiest winter on record.

These people are idiots.

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:04 PM
That is one of the stupidest things I've heard. Were these ... commentators, newscasters, talking heads ... in the affected area? It's easy to say they didn't really need to take the snow days when you're not actually dealing with the snow. Though still pretty stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:07 PM

I am certain of it.

This happened last year for my kids. Due to all the snow and storm days, they had no spring break which bit into Passover and Easter.

It is already built into the school calendar that due to snow days, holidays will be taken away. My kids lost MLK, President's day and Easter Monday this year. Any more school closings it will cut into the rest of spring break. Memorial Day weekend will be the next cut.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:11 PM

We have never missed that much school to worry about holidays being taken away.  I'm not sure how that works with our teachers contracts, generally when we have gone ver they extend the year in June.  

We didn't have even a hint of snow this year so we will get the extra days off.  

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I am certain of it.

This happened last year for my kids. Due to all the snow and storm days, they had no spring break which bit into Passover and Easter.

It is already built into the school calendar that due to snow days, holidays will be taken away. My kids lost MLK, President's day and Easter Monday this year. Any more school closings it will cut into the rest of spring break. Memorial Day weekend will be the next cut.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup, Obama and his liberal minions made it snow a lot this year just to take away religious holidays! The secret's out now! Hahahaha!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM

The thing is, graduation is a set date. There is no extending the year. I think it might have something to do with the teacher's contract but I'm not sure. I have also heard that graduation is set so that it never falls on a weekend. It is always either a Wednesday or Thursday. This ties into some town superstition. But I think it's more to do with teacher contracts; and they can not work past a certain date. 

School closings are not just for snow though. It is also for hurricanes, flooding, power outages, water main breaks, etc...

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

We have never missed that much school to worry about holidays being taken away.  I'm not sure how that works with our teachers contracts, generally when we have gone ver they extend the year in June.  

We didn't have even a hint of snow this year so we will get the extra days off.  

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I am certain of it.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:25 PM
L
O
L
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)