Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CO Baker Who Refused To Make Homophobic Bible Cakes Cleared Of Discrimination

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

CO Baker Who Refused To Make Homophobic Bible Cakes Cleared Of Discrimination (VIDEO)

APRIL 4, 2015 8:44 PM

For some reason, the LGBT civil rights battle seems to be centered around food. The Colorado Civil Rights Division ruled last week that the Azucar Bakery did not discriminate against a Christian when the bakery refused to decorate two hate-cakes for him last year.

On March 13, 2014, William Jack requested two cakes shaped like Bibles — a request that, in and of itself, is quite harmless. However, in an attempt to legitimize conservative claims that a refusal to make a cake that is abusive toward the LGBT community is somehow equivalent to a “Christian” baker’s choice to discriminate against gay people, Jack asked that one of the cakes read, “God hates sin. Psalm 45:7″ and “Homosexuality is a detestable sin. Leviticus 18:2.” The other, if the baker chose to participate in this hateful display, would read “God loves sinners,” and “While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:8.”

Both cakes, according to Jack’s request, would feature an image of two groomsmen holding hands with a red “X” through them. He says his intent was to convey that same-sex marriage is “un-biblical and inappropriate.”

The baker, Marjorie Silva, agreed to make the Bible-shaped cakes, but refused to decorate them in the hateful manner requested. In the alternative, she offered to provide Jack with icing and a pastry bag so he could write his own homophobic messages and add his own hateful image on the cakes.

Silva told the Civil Rights Division that she explained to Jack her bakery “does not discriminate” and “accept[s] all humans,” but that she refused to add the “hateful and offensive” imagery and writing.

“If he wants to hate people, he can hate them not here in my bakery,” Silva told 7NEWS in January.

Nevertheless, Jack claimed he was treated unequally and denied goods and services based on his religious faith. The baker’s refusal to make his vile cakes, Jack claims, is “demeaning to his beliefs.”

The agency backed Silva’s claims, agreeing that the evidence shows she refused to make the cake because Jack’s request included  “derogatory language and imagery.”

According to the decision, Silva, who is Catholic with a staff comprised of three other Catholics and three “non-Catholic Christians,” explained that “in the same manner [she] would not accept [an order from] anyone wanting to make a discriminatory cake against Christians, [she] will not make one that discriminates against gays.”

“The evidence demonstrates that [Silva] would deny such requests to any customer, regardless of creed,” the Civil Rights Division’s decision stated. The agency found that Azucar Bakery makes cakes for “every season of the year,” including Christian holidays. The division noted that photographs on the bakery’s web site featured Christian symbols and writing, including cakes with cross decorations and the message, “God bless.”

Jack, however, refuses to back down. He says he plans to filed an appeal with the Colorado Civil Rights Division. “I find it offensive that the Colorado Civil Rights Division considers the baker’s claims that Bible verses were discriminatory as the reason for denying my claim,” he said on Saturday.  “I find it offensive that the legal director of the Colorado division of the ACLU called the Bible verses on the cakes obscenities.  Especially at this time on the church calendar — Holy Week — I find it offensive that the Bible is censored from the public arena.”

Anti-Defamation League Mountain States Region regional director Scott L. Levin issued a statement on Friday supporting the decision:

“The Anti-Defamation League Mountain States Region welcomes the determination of the Colorado Civil Rights Division (CCRD) that there is no probable cause to support a finding that Azucar Bakery treated unequally or denied goods or services to a customer based on the customer’s creed, when the bakery declined to include derogatory language and an image of a same-sex couple on a cake. ADL supports our state’s anti-discrimination laws that promote an inclusive and respectful Colorado.”

Watch a report on the ordeal, below:

http://launch.newsinc.com/share.html?trackingGroup=69016&siteSection=theblaze&videoId=28821835

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes.

If they don't make hate cakes for anyone, no one can demand they make hate cakes for them.

The issues regarding protected classes and public accommodation laws are escaping too many people, I think some of them on purpose, because it doesn't suit their agenda.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this
So Jack here is bitching about the fact that her non-discrimination will be applied in a 100% non-discriminatory manner.

Good luck, Jack.Ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

What a hateful little man.  She didn't discriminate.  She agreed to bake the cakes and gave him the frosting to put his hatefilled bilge on the cake himself.  She didn't deny him service.  I hope he wastes a large amount of money pursuing this baseless case.  I hope the baker sues him for legal fees.  I hope it bankrupts him.  

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Good gods....people are just not smart.
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol. So the moral to the story. Agree to make the cakes. Just no writing or decorations that go against your beliefs.
Unless you're a Muslim baker, then send them to Kroger.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:58 PM

This is a good point. After reading all the comments on the baker who refused to bake the gay wedding cake it seems to center on the topper. Many folks provide their own topper so a bakery can still bake the cake and the customer could add thier "personalization" that the bakery doesn't normally provide after it has left the bakery. No biggie. No descrimination. Bakery makes cake and gives to customer both ways. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

What a hateful little man.  She didn't discriminate.  She agreed to bake the cakes and gave him the frosting to put his hatefilled bilge on the cake himself.  She didn't deny him service.  I hope he wastes a large amount of money pursuing this baseless case.  I hope the baker sues him for legal fees.  I hope it bankrupts him.  

Nerds Without Pants

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your first paragraph but not your second. 

Why would a Muslim bakery denying a cake be any different than a Christian bakery? How is it different? 

I don't understand why the right is frothing at the mouth over that unless it is to point a finger and say "It's OK because they do it tooooooooo!!!"

It's still bigotry in the name of religion and it is still wrong.

Quoting jcrew6: Lol. So the moral to the story. Agree to make the cakes. Just no writing or decorations that go against your beliefs. Unless you're a Muslim baker, then send them to Kroger.

Nerds Without Pants

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the issue lays in how many want to paint Muslims as a peace loving religion and turn a blind eye toward their bigotry while painting all Chrisgtions with the brush of asmall minority. My nephews Saudi bf says hate toward gays is widespread among Muslims. It's celebration time when a gay is executed. His family and all his friends have disowned him. He can never return to his own country.

Quoting NWP:

Why would a Muslim bakery denying a cake be any different than a Christian bakery? How is it different? 

I don't understand why the right is frothing at the mouth over that unless it is to point a finger and say "It's OK because they do it tooooooooo!!!"

Quoting jcrew6: Lol. So the moral to the story. Agree to make the cakes. Just no writing or decorations that go against your beliefs.
Unless you're a Muslim baker, then send them to Kroger.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it can be, same as the far right Christian sects can be and have been too. IMO religious extremism is bad no matter the flavor.

I honestly don't see how its different and this post and many of the replies come across as "it's ok because they do it too" IMO

Quoting Carpy: I think the issue lays in how many want to paint Muslims as a peace loving religion and turn a blind eye toward their bigotry while painting all Chrisgtions with the brush of asmall minority. My nephews Saudi bf says hate toward gays is widespread among Muslims. It's celebration time when a gay is executed. His family and all his friends have disowned him. He can never return to his own country.
Quoting NWP:

Quoting jcrew6: Lol. So the moral to the story. Agree to make the cakes. Just no writing or decorations that go against your beliefs. Unless you're a Muslim baker, then send them to Kroger.

Nerds Without Pants

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Neither are ok, and I see this law differently than most apparently.  I see it as a means for bigots to come out of the closet, so I know who not to patronize.

Quoting NWP:

I know it can be, same as the far right Christian sects can be and have been too. IMO religious extremism is bad no matter the flavor.

I honestly don't see how its different and this post and many of the replies come across as "it's ok because they do it too" IMO

Quoting Carpy: I think the issue lays in how many want to paint Muslims as a peace loving religion and turn a blind eye toward their bigotry while painting all Chrisgtions with the brush of asmall minority. My nephews Saudi bf says hate toward gays is widespread among Muslims. It's celebration time when a gay is executed. His family and all his friends have disowned him. He can never return to his own country.
Quoting NWP:

Free People are not Equal.  Equal People are not Free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)