Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sharpton 'circus' not welcome

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM
  • 2 Replies

Report: Sharpton 'circus' not welcome by Walter Scott's family

Al Sharpton
Rev. Al Sharpton speaks during the 16th National Action Network's annual convention opening, Wednesday, April 8, 2015, in New York. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews) (Bebeto Matthews)
Maura Grunlund | grunlund@siadvance.comBy Maura Grunlund | grunlund@siadvance.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on April 10, 2015 at 8:07 AM, updated April 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Reddit

UPDATE: Rev. Al Sharpton has issued a release, refuting the report.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Hoping to avoid a Ferguson, Mo.-style "circus," the family of alleged police shooting victim Walter Scott doesn't want the Rev. Al Sharpton to attend the funeral, according to the Daily News.

"We don't want another Ferguson type of circus here," a source close to the Scott family in South Carolina was quoted as saying in the Daily News.

The family reportedly was referring to Rev. Sharpton's speech at the funeral for Michael Brown, who was fatally shot by a police officer in Ferguson. That officer wasn't charged in the incident, sparking numerous protests.

Rev. Sharpton, head of the National Action Network based in Harlem, reportedly has no plans to attend the funeral.

On Wednesday, Rev. Sharpton issued a statement saying that he spoke with the Scott family's attorney, Chris Stewart, and planned to visit the community of North Charleston, S.C., where Scott was shot.  

Patrolman Michael Thomas Slager has been charged in the shooting of Scott, who was allegedly fleeing from a traffic stop Saturday.

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with them. They want to say goodbye in peace and deserve that right.I know I wouldnt want anyone other than friends and family there.
Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:56 AM
They certainly have the right to decide who can attend the funeral. I wouldn't want people that didn't know my family member at their funeral
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)