Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For Those Who Receive Snap Benefits

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM
  • 0 Replies

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/mobile/benefits/what-can-i-buy.htmlI

I just found out the most amazing thing - with your benefits, you can buy fruit and vegetables seeds and plants to grow a garden! This could be a huge thing come harvest time - and harvest time is all year long, if you plant correctly.

In the cool spring, you can grow leaf lettuces that will give you salads until the weather gets hot. Also: broccoli, greens, radishes, and quite a few things. Just look up "cold weather crops" on line. In summer, tomatoes, peppers, beans, potatoes, and anything else you like. In the fall, it's back to cold weather crops. In milder areas, you can plant things all year around. Root crops can last through some pretty cold weather. You can plant all kinds of fruits that will produce in a year or so, and trees that take longer to produce, but will give you a bounty for the rest of your life.

You can feed your family high quality food that costs so much less, and is so much tastier and better than anything you can buy at a store. Many items will even give you enough to sell, making a little cash to spend on other foods. And you can save your bounty by freezing or canning it.

There's libraries full of info gardening available on line.  If you don't know how to garden, look for information for beginners, and start small. Also, look up information on gardening on a budget. There are so many great ideas on saving a lot of money.

Also, if you don't have a yard, or can't use yours, you can grow in containers. Large flower pots will do, but you can use just about anything that will hold at least 6 inches of soil. I've grown in storage totes with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. I've even grown, very successfully, in the big plastic grocery bags you can buy at the store for a dollar or less. Just cut holes in the bottom.

Please look into it. Gardens don't take all that much work, if you keep them weeded, and there are even easy ways to do that!

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)