Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher suspended after class write notes to Mumia Abu-Jamal

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM
  • 27 Replies
ORANGE, N.J. (AP) — A teacher in New Jersey who assigned her third-grade class to write "get well" letters to a sick inmate convicted of killing a Philadelphia police officer was suspended Friday, the school superintendent said.

Orange School Superintendent Ronald Lee said in a statement that school administrators "vehemently deny" any knowledge of Marilyn Zuniga's assignment. Preliminary inquiries found that Zuniga did not seek approval from administrators nor were parents notified, Lee said.

The letters were delivered to Mumia Abu-Jamal in prison following his hospitalization last month for what his family said was treatment for complications from diabetes. The former Black Panther is serving life behind bars for the 1981 murder of white Philadelphia police Officer Daniel Faulkner. His conviction was upheld through years of appeals, but he has gained international support for his claim that he is the victim of a racist justice system.

"The incident reported is in no way condoned nor does it reflect curriculum, program or activities approved by the district," Lee said in a statement.

A supporter and history professor at Baruch College, Johanna Fernandez, showed Abu-Jamal the letters while she visited him Monday.

"I think he was touched," Fernandez told The Associated Press on Friday.

Fernandez defended Zuniga from what she called attempts to demonize and bully her, saying Abu-Jamal has received many letters from children over the years.

"Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about 8-year-olds witnessing a police officer kill an innocent man in South Carolina than I am about a teacher sending letters her children wrote to one of the most important black public intellectuals of our time, who happens to be very ill," said Fernandez, referring to last week's weekend shooting of an unarmed black man by a white police officer.

The school district was closed for spring break, and the superintendent said a full investigation would begin when classes resume on Monday.

Zuniga will remain suspended with pay until the investigation is completed, the superintendent said. Additional action could be taken by the school board once the investigation is finished.

Neither Zuniga nor officials with the Philadelphia police union immediately returned emails from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Abu-Jamal was released from a hospital in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, on April 1, and returned to the prison.

Here's the link:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/309797efe5ca4b5586ace86900566271/teacher-suspended-after-class-write-notes-mumia-abu-jamal

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Ayasmama
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM

How bizarre....

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM

The man went to jail for his crime.   Since then, he has written books, articles and studied.  My feeling is that study and writing is a better way to make ones' points known than resorting to violence.  I don't feel it 'makes up for' the shooting of the policeman, but I do feel writing is preferable to shooting.

He shot a policeman in 1981.   That was 34 years ago.  He got the death penalty, and he spent 30 years on death row.

Recently the procedure that the death penalty was arrived at was investigated and found wanting.  The man was resentenced to life in prison.  

Jamal has written that he joined the Black Panthers after being beaten up during a protest against George Wallace.   George Wallace was a well known racist politician in the South.

Jamal appears to have become the classic 'angry young man'.  He was a 60s and 70s protester.

The murder occurred while he was working as a taxi cab driver.  He saw his brother being stopped by the police and ran across the street and got involved in some type of altercation with the police.  The details aren't entirely clear as much of the evidence was mishandled.

Jamal's brother insisted none of it had anything to do with him.

One witness testified that the actual shooter was an individual in the brother's car, and was not Jamal.

In 1999, a man named Arnold Beverly claimed he and an assistant had shot the policeman as a mob hit, because the policeman was involved in exposing some corruption.  Beverly claimed that some corrupted police had paid him and hired him, and that police also helped him leave the scene and escape prosecution.

One author on the trial said Jamal was 'too honorable' to use Beverly's doubtful statements.  But actually, Jamal's defense team gave Beverly a lie detector test, and advised Jamal strongly that Beverly was not credible.  

Initially the statements were not used at all, but later, the defense team revived Beverly's sworn statements.   Due to time limits on such statements the Beverly witness was not allowed into the case.

Eventually Jamal's defense team got the death penalty removed, not by using Beverly's testimony, but by showing other deficiencies in the trial.   The trial really was a mess.  His lawyers were simply incompetent.   But Jamal still got a life sentence.

When one man on his defense team wrote a book called, "Executing Justice" Jamal promptly fired him and another member of the defense team, for not stopping the other guy from writing the book.

And like I said for most of that time he was on death row.  

I read a book of Mumia Al-Jamal's years ago, without realizing he was on death row for murdering a policeman.   

The book was called Faith of Our Fathers and was a history of religion in the Black community from Africa, to slavery to modern times.

broboxer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Actually, his defense attorneys kept appealing the death sentence. He also had help from the Hollywood left, Ed Asner, Susan Sarandon, Mike Ferrell, Whoopie Goldberg to name a few. The officer's widow, Maureen Faulkner, finally had enough and asked the DA's office to stop. This man deserved to die. I don't give a rats ass what he's done since.

Don't believe everything you read

Quoting lancet98:

The man went to jail for his crime.   Since then, he has written books, articles and studied.  My feeling is that study and writing is a better way to make ones' points known than resorting to violence.  I don't feel it 'makes up for' the shooting of the policeman, but I do feel writing is preferable to shooting.

He shot a policeman in 1981.   That was 34 years ago.  He got the death penalty, and he spent 30 years on death row.

Recently the procedure that the death penalty was arrived at was investigated and found wanting.  The man was resentenced to life in prison.  

Jamal has written that he joined the Black Panthers after being beaten up during a protest against George Wallace.   George Wallace was a well known racist politician in the South.

Jamal appears to have become the classic 'angry young man'.  He was a 60s and 70s protester.

The murder occurred while he was working as a taxi cab driver.  He saw his brother being stopped by the police and ran across the street and got involved in some type of altercation with the police.  The details aren't entirely clear as much of the evidence was mishandled.

One witness testified that the actual shooter was an individual in the brother's car, and was not Jamal.

In 1999, a man named Arnold Beverly claimed he and an assistant had shot the policeman as a mob hit, because the policeman was involved in exposing some corruption.  Beverly claimed that some corrupted police had paid him and hired him, and that police also helped him leave the scene and escape prosecution.

One author on the trial said Jamal was 'too honorable' to use Beverly's doubtful statements.  But actually, Jamal's defense team gave Beverly a lie detector test, and advised Jamal strongly that Beverly was not credible.  

Initially the statements were not used at all, but later, the defense team revived Beverly's sworn statements.   Due to time limits on such statements the Beverly witness was not allowed into the case.

Eventually Jamal's defense team got the death penalty removed, not by using Beverly's testimony, but by showing other deficiencies in the trial.   The trial really was a mess.  His lawyers were simply incompetent.   But Jamal still got a life sentence.

When one man on his defense team wrote a book called, "Executing Justice" Jamal promptly fired him and another member of the defense team, for not stopping the other guy from writing the book.

I read a book of Mumia Al-Jamal's years ago, without realizing he was on death row for murdering a policeman.   

The book was called Faith of Our Fathers and was a history of religion in the Black community from Africa, to slavery to modern times.

daenerys
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:03 PM

That was terrible judgement on her part.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:10 PM

So you were on the prosecution team?   Tell me more.

LOL.   Yes his defense attorneys did that.   It's called doing their job. 

But the initial team didn't do their job.   They were incompetent.   That's why he wound up with a life sentence and came off death row.   That had nothing to do with your so-called 'Hollywood Left'.

I prefer to think of it as a 'Hollywood Dumb' and 'Hollywood speaking because the audience has no brains'.   There's nothing about being an actor that makes someone an expert on criminal defense or prosecution and no reason why an actor's opinions on such matters deserve any more consideration than any other citizen's 'off the top of his head' comments.

Quoting broboxer: Actually, his defense attorneys kept appealing the death sentence. He also had help from the Hollywood left, Ed Asner, Susan Sarandon, Mike Ferrell, Whoopie Goldberg to name a few. The officer's widow, Maureen Faulkner, finally had enough and asked the DA's office to stop. This man deserved to die. I don't give a rats ass what he's done since. Don't believe everything you read
Quoting lancet98:

broboxer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:12 PM
That's all you need to know.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting broboxer: Actually, his defense attorneys kept appealing the death sentence. He also had help from the Hollywood left, Ed Asner, Susan Sarandon, Mike Ferrell, Whoopie Goldberg to name a few. The officer's widow, Maureen Faulkner, finally had enough and asked the DA's office to stop. This man deserved to die. I don't give a rats ass what he's done since.

Don't believe everything you read

Quoting lancet98:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:25 PM

You're representing yourself as a more credible source of information than the court documents that I can access through my Westlaw subscription as well as statements made by the prosecution.

You're directly contradicting court documents on multiple fronts as well as individual prosecutors.

YES you need to 'tell me more'.

If you are to be believed.   I'm not a fanatic, like you.  I actually need facts.   I am also well-aware that Jamal is no little angel.   I never said he was.

Quoting broboxer: That's all you need to know.
Quoting lancet98:

Quoting broboxer: Actually, his defense attorneys kept appealing the death sentence. He also had help from the Hollywood left, Ed Asner, Susan Sarandon, Mike Ferrell, Whoopie Goldberg to name a few. The officer's widow, Maureen Faulkner, finally had enough and asked the DA's office to stop. This man deserved to die. I don't give a rats ass what he's done since. Don't believe everything you read
Quoting lancet98:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

As for the teacher, she should have realized that having young kids write to such a controversial figure would get her into trouble.   Teaching in a public school isn't really a place where people can push their opinions on little children.  

She's quite stupid if she thinks she can get away with such things.   Unless her issues are that she wants American Flags and Prayer in School, Evolution is a lie, Abortion  is murder and the Ten Commandments taught, other religions are devil inspired........then she should get away with it just fine.

Oh the irony.

JENNlEPEPSl
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM

how dare we teach our children the compassion that the middle east refuses to teach their children. 

SMH. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)