Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

US trade deficit jumps to 6-year high of $51.4 billion

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM
  • 12 Replies
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. trade deficit in March jumped to the highest level in more than six years as a small increase in exports was swamped by a flood of imports from autos to cellphones.

The Commerce Department says the deficit rose to $51.4 billion, the largest trade gap since October 2008 and more than 43 percent higher than the February imbalance.

Exports were up 0.9 percent to $187.8 billion, while imports increased 7.7 percent to $239.2 billion. The trade deficit is the short-fall between exports and imports.

Economists had expected the March deficit to expand, reflecting the resolution of labor disputes which had slowed shipments at West Coast ports. But the deficit was bigger than expected and will likely shrink an already anemic first quarter of economic growth.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/829fdf7ba8cd453eb5e0fa0f185c7c7d/us-trade-deficit-jumps-6-year-high-514-billion
by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
idunno1234
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Our economy is built on a house of cards that is built on a ship that is circling a whirlpool about to be sucked under.

Or something like that.

TommieToo
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Anyone surprised ???

'We' don't make anything to sell anymore.  We have become 'consumers' not 'producers'.

eye rolling

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on May. 5, 2015 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Very true

Unions and high taxes have decimated our manufacturing industries.

Quoting TommieToo:

Anyone surprised ???

'We' don't make anything to sell anymore.  We have become 'consumers' not 'producers'.

eye rolling

TommieToo
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, only in your narrow mind.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Very true

Quoting TommieToo:

Anyone surprised ???

eye rolling

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on May. 5, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Broaden it for me 

Quoting TommieToo:

LOL, only in your narrow mind.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Very true

Quoting TommieToo:

Anyone surprised ???

eye rolling

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Quoting broboxer: WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. trade deficit in March jumped to the highest level in more than six years 

So that's a monthly figure, not an annual one?

Ok.

By the way, what is that as a fraction of GDP?  Was the trade deficit 6 years ago a bigger or smaller fraction of the GDP 6 years ago?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Quoting TommieToo:

No.

You've moved from producing physical goods (eg cars) over to producing more intangible stuff (such as the designs for cars, patents on new car widgets, copyright on software for cars, legal services, financing, consultancy, etc).

It is still production, and still valuable.

broboxer
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM
I don't know, why don't you find the answers to your questions. Google is a beautiful thing.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting broboxer: WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. trade deficit in March jumped to the highest level in more than six years 

So that's a monthly figure, not an annual one?

Ok.

By the way, what is that as a fraction of GDP?  Was the trade deficit 6 years ago a bigger or smaller fraction of the GDP 6 years ago?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Quoting broboxer: I don't know

Ok, so if you were not interested in seeing the data in context, why did you post?

Was it pure alarmism "Ooooh, look how bad this sounds" ?

broboxer
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:43 AM
Funny you didn't put in the whole answer. I simply told you to find your own answers. I'm not your teacher.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting broboxer: I don't know

Ok, so if you were not interested in seeing the data in context, why did you post?

Was it pure alarmism "Ooooh, look how bad this sounds" ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)