• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pamela Geller should go to jail!

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM
  • 59 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is about the shooting at the 'art show' in Texas. First off, let me unequivocally and without any doubt at all state that I in no way think that what the shooters did was right. But, it is my opinion that Pamela Geller should go to jail for inciting violence or something like that. It is against the Muslim religion to in any way, shape, or form depict Mohammad. This woman encouraged it! I know that we have free speech in this country, but just because you are allowed to do it doesn't always mean you should do it. I personally think that she was hoping that something like this would happen! Just because you don't agree with another person's opinion doesn't give you the right to publicly mock it. I am an atheist, but I don't stand on the front lawn of churches shouting "Fairy Tales" at believers. Her sponsoring that 'art show' would be like having a show with (just an example, not going to do it!) Jesus depicted in an orgy with all his apostles! Why can't we all learn to have some respect for our fellow man and his/her beliefs? Why can't we all just agree to disagree? This woman is dangerous, and I really think that she was glad that violence erupted so she could sit back and say "Look what they did!! I was right!!"

by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Susan1360
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:31 AM
5 moms liked this

To hell with free speech, eh?

yourspecialkid
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM
8 moms liked this

Are you freaking kidding me??  She had the Constitutional right to hold the art contest.  SCOTUS has upheld that right.  They ruled even the Westboro Baptist Church and their hate laced speech is free speech.

I do not personally approve of offensive depictions of religious figures...but they are ART and are protected as free speech.  Time and again, as a Christian I have found art that offensively depicted Christ.  I did not arm myself and head to the museum with mayhem in mind...I did not think the event coordinator should be arrested. 

It is shocking how easily you would throw away your right to free speech....much blood has been spilled to guarantee that right for you.

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM
6 moms liked this
Purposely being an asshole isn't punishable by law. I don't think you'll find many people ready to toss their rights aside to prosecute disgusting, low morality speech.
KimShea
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this

No, I don't want to throw away our rights on free speech!! But I think that she was purposefully trying to incite violence! That's my point. If it can be proven (I know, good luck) that she was trying to cause violence, then she was putting people in danger just to make her point, and that, in my eyes, should be illegal.

yourspecialkid
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting KimShea:

No, I don't want to throw away our rights on free speech!! But I think that she was purposefully trying to incite violence! That's my point. If it can be proven (I know, good luck) that she was trying to cause violence, then she was putting people in danger just to make her point, and that, in my eyes, should be illegal.

She held an ART CONTEST.  That is not inciting violence.  It is not her fault or responsibility that some people will use ANY excuse for violence.

Do you think the whole country should just rollover and let ISIS have their way?

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM
7 moms liked this

I disagree and I think Geller is a slimy piece of crap.  We should not deny Constitutional protections to people simply because their actions cause offense to others.  

Islamic "laws" are specific to those of Islamic faith, just as Christian "laws" are specific to Christians.  Those who follow choose to follow those tenents but society as a whole should not bend to religious dogma.  

PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

What is so effing special about Mohammad that their followers don't want the man depicted as a man? And why should non muslims have to follow their rules? Does anybody besides me see the idiocy in coddling these hotheaded dumbasses?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

She was within her legal rights under the freedom of speech.

No way in hell do I think we should jail people for using their freedom of speech even if they are as big an asshole as she.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Agreed.

No one should try to force others to abide by their personal religious canon through force, violence or civil legislation.

No one.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I disagree and I think Geller is a slimy piece of crap.  We should not deny Constitutional protections to people simply because their actions cause offense to others.  

Islamic "laws" are specific to those of Islamic faith, just as Christian "laws" are specific to Christians.  Those who follow choose to follow those tenents but society as a whole should not bend to religious dogma.  

Nerds Without Pants

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM
4 moms liked this

I wonder if the OP recalls the atheist who dressed up as zombie mohammad and was punched by a muslim. I guess the OP would think the atheist should have gone to jail for hurting the muslims mans feelings and leaving him no choice but to punch the atheist.

To be honest the OP thoughts are not surprising when one considers had so many on this site have chose to attack Geller as has the media. I guess if something does happen to Geller all those who are demonizing and attacking her should be held accountable....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)