Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about high heels for babies?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM
  • 33 Replies

High Heels for Babies Are Officially a Thing

pee wee pumps

Baby fashion has hit new heights of ridiculousness with the introduction of Pee Wee Pumps, a company hawking high heels for babies aged 0 to 6 months. And these aren't any old heels, but stilettos!

Erm, last time I tried teetering around in stilettos during my pre-mom days, I nearly killed myself. The only saving grace is that Pee Wee's pumps are geared for babies so young they aren't walking yet, so at least they won't hurt themselves toddling around.

More from The Stir: The Most Jaw-Droppingly Awful Baby Fashion Fails

Still, these heels do worry me, since I think it plays to the bigger trend of "adult" shoe fashions for young kids -- wedges and kitten heels for toddlers, for instance -- and those are dangerous if a toddler is trying to learn how to walk.

Case in point: Even seemingly harmless features like slide-ons can negatively impact a toddler's first steps, since their toes have to "grip" the shoe so it doesn't slide off. That's why shoe experts advise that moms avoid buying "adult" shoe styles for toddlers like heels, flip-flops, and yes, even Crocs.

So as much as I think these baby stilettos are "cute," I worry that they may start moms and their babies down a dangerous path. I, for one, would steer clear.

How do you feel about high heels for babies?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

The same as I feel about high heels for small children, they are ridiculous.  

romalove
by Roma on May. 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM

That picture.....SMH

PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Fine for dress up and play time, but not for regular foot wear.  It's one thing to let your toddler put on mommy's heels and play dress up but  would you let your toddler step out in your high heels to run errands?  

My daughter had a friend nextdoor who took a pretty bad tumble down our front stairs because she was wearing platform shoes as play shoes at 6 years old.  

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My baby loves shoes, especially the Velcro closure. She chews them all the time, even on those rare occasions that they're still on her feet. But, she's 8 months chronologically and has been under the delusion that she's 2 and perfectly capable of keeping up with her sisters since birth, so she'd never be able to wear them. If someone got me these, I'd probably just put links on them and call them chew toys.
Lynette
by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I imagine they are only for photo ops, not actually to be worn for any normal day to day stuff.  I would never own them or put them on my child.  But I see no problem with others using them like that.

The most my children wear before they can walk is socks.  In the winter I will put those soft leather booties on help keep the feet warm.  I don't do shoes with soles until there is snow on the ground and they are walking instead of bring carried.

Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

They are bad for adults, they are worse for children - especially babies who are still developing.

“I don't think..." then you shouldn't talk, said the Hatter.”― Alice in Wonderland

Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM

No different than the pearl necklace worn in the photo...just a prop for a cute photo. Its not like the baby is walking around in them.

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Might be cute for a photograph only. Other than that it's ridiculous and dangerous to put heels on a little one.  Just one more instance of making clothing for babies/children to resemble that worn by adults.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM

I'm more bothered by the tennishoes they make for young girls now that have heels hidden in them. It's horribly bad for their developing knees, hips and even their backs and posture. We're deforming an entire generation of girls and in about 10-20 years we'll start seeing the fruits of it as the numbers of pregnancy complications, knee surgeries, hip surgeries etc rise because of it.

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on May. 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Umm.

How about NO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)