Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something about this just ... bothers me

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 7:23 PM
  • 27 Replies

Mobile Photo

by on May. 7, 2015 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
It's an Audrey Hepburn quote, yes? Yeah...kinda odd from several points of view. But it is at a Pamper My Princess kid spa so I'm not surprised that the focus is on happy, pretty girls. 😉
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Is it a Hepburn quote? I did not know that but it is still a bit of an unsettling thing to be teaching our girls, IMO. Granted it could be worse - it could say "Pretty girls are the happiest".
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 7, 2015 at 8:16 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching girls that beauty comes from within which is essentially what that means.  

Here is the full quote

“I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.” 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Isn't that what we tell them? It's what's inside that counts? Happy people are the prettiest. Pretty people are not always happy.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM
In context with the rest of the quote, that may be what it is saying. Taken alone, as it is, I do not like the message. The little girls going to a little girl spa are not likely to know the entire quote nor the context surrounding the snippet they chose.

Quoting EireLass:

Isn't that what we tell them? It's what's inside that counts? Happy people are the prettiest. Pretty people are not always happy.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:33 PM
But that context is NOT in the camp name. The quote by itself, without context, suggests that girls need to be happy in order to maintain and achieve beauty.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching girls that beauty comes from within which is essentially what that means.  

Here is the full quote

â��I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.â�� 

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM
What's so wrong with being happy?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: But that context is NOT in the camp name. The quote by itself, without context, suggests that girls need to be happy in order to maintain achieve and beauty.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Here is the full quote

“I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.” 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:43 PM
I did not suggest there is anything wrong with being happy. What is wrong, IMO, is tying happiness to beauty.

Quoting lady-J-Rock: What's so wrong with being happy?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: But that context is NOT in the camp name. The quote by itself, without context, suggests that girls need to be happy in order to maintain achieve and beauty.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Here is the full quote

Ms.KitKat
by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like a mean-girls training camp.

Something about this bothers me too, OP.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on May. 7, 2015 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree, the quote stands alone quite well as it states that happiness is beautiful.  

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: But that context is NOT in the camp name. The quote by itself, without context, suggests that girls need to be happy in order to maintain and achieve beauty.
Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Here is the full quote

â��I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.â�� 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)