Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Under Armour Condemned Over Iwo Jima "Band Of Ballers" Basketball Shirt

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM
  • 12 Replies

Mobile Photo

A t-shirt that appropriates the imagery of raising the flag on Iwo Jima has apparel maker Under Armour under attack.

Hundreds of people outraged by the shirt have been flooding Under Armour’s Facebook page today with complaints. Under Armour calls the shirt “Band of Ballers” which is if not insensitive also geographically inaccurate.

@UnderArmour love your products.Gotta say the band of ballers shirt should not be sold.Disrespectful to all military past present and future

May 16, 2015
This honestly sickens me. "Band of Ballers"? I will never buy Under Armour again and that is a promise. Have respect. pic.twitter.com/lHlxC63WsA

May 16, 2015
[WISH]

Update (12:20 p.m.): Under Armour has pulled the shirt:

Under Armour has the utmost respect and admiration for active duty service men and women and veterans who have served our country. (1/3)

May 16, 2015
We deeply regret and apologize the release of a shirt that is not reflective of our commitment to support & honor our country's heroes (2/3)

May 16, 2015
We have taken the necessary steps to remove this shirt, and any related shirts, from all retail and ensure this doesn't happen again. (3/3)

May 16, 2015

http://deadspin.com/under-armour-condemned-over-iwo-jima-band-of-ballers-1704926138?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 17, 2015 at 8:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Outraged? NO.

Disgusted? Yes.

I'm glad they pulled it, not cool to take one of the most sacred Marine Corps symbols and do this with it.

But....I know there are those who don't understand this.

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this
Agree with Woodbabe.

It's in extremely bad taste and no way would I buy it.

Their target demographic may not get the imagery though. Which is unfortunate.
billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't say I would never buy under armor again, but this was in very very bad taste and tacky.
Comparing a bunch of over privaledged, over paid basketball players(and this goes for all sports), to one of our most recognized events like this is terrible and in very bad taste.
Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:51 AM
I don't think they intended it to be disrespectful but I'm glad they pulled it.
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Most definitely what I would consider poor taste. 

Made a good decision in pulling merchandise. 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Doesn't bother me.  I don't think it was used in a negative manner and if anything it may start the conversation to allow the younger generation to learn about something.  If they hadn't used "band of ballers" would the picture still been as outrageous? 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 17, 2015 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

26,000 Americans died on that island, serving their country honorably. Do you think making a mockery of this symbol is a valid teaching tool? My husband's grandfather survived and was so traumatized he didn't even tell his family he'd been there until five years before his death. He watched them raise those flags.

Quoting babyspots17:

Doesn't bother me.  I don't think it was used in a negative manner and if anything it may start the conversation to allow the younger generation to learn about something.  If they hadn't used "band of ballers" would the picture still been as outrageous? 

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
yourspecialkid
by on May. 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I was surprised by the outrage.  My military husband wears UnderArmour stuff.  I saw it as a sort of hat tipping myself.  I think I would have come up with something different than Band of BALLERS though...that sounds kind of gross.

joyfree
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Sigh.

Bad move, Under-Armour.

csxt99
by on May. 20, 2015 at 12:34 AM

I think it is stupid for everybody to get so butthurt over this shirt. More PC bullshit.

Quoting babyspots17:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)