Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Southwest passenger says she was banned from making call that might've saved husband from suicide

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:59 AM
  • 22 Replies
A woman onboard a Southwest Airlines flight says two different flight attendants prevented her from making an emergency phone call after she received an alarming text message from her husband that he was about to take his own life.

Karen Momsen-Evers told NBC-affiliate TMJ4:

“I started shaking the minute I got the text and I was panicked, I didn’t know what to do. The steward slapped the phone down and said you need to go on airplane mode now.”

After she explained the situation, she said the steward still refused to allow the phone call, citing “FAA regulations.”

Momsen-Evers was heading home to Milwaukee from New Orleans when her husband sent the distressing message just before takeoff. According to TMJ4, the text message read, “Karen, please forgive me for what I am about to do, I am going to kill myself.”

She flagged down a second flight attendant once the plane reached cruising altitude, who again told her there was nothing they could do. Momsen-Evers was only able to call police two hours later once the plane landed in Wisconsin. When she arrived home police on the scene told her that her husband, Andy, was dead.

Southwest Airlines, said in a statement to TMJ4:

“Our hearts go out to the family during this difficult time. Flight attendants are trained to notify the Captain if there is an emergency that poses a hazard to the aircraft or to the passengers on-board. In this situation, the pilots were not notified.”

That provides little comfort for Momsen-Evers, who said: “The pain of knowing something could have been done, it breaks my heart.”

It’s been a rough month for the airline, which is currently being sued by a flight attendant over her husband’s death in one of its airplane bathrooms.

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/05/15/southwest-airlines-passenger-was-refused-a-call-that-couldve-saved-her-suicidal-husbands-life/

by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:17 AM
The guy said he was going to do it - and he did.

There are other situations where she may not have even checked her phone for hours, it just so happens she was mid-flight. Sure it was dick-ish for the staff to not let her make such a call, but to blame the airline?
Valentina327
by on May. 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM
How horrible ... There was probably nothing the poor thing could have done anyway.
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on May. 17, 2015 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this

While I agree that a phone call may not have changed the outcome -- the problem is that she will never know. 

The airline said that flight attendants are to notify the Captain in case of an emergency.  

They didn't. 

What is it with all the stories recently of horrible flight attendants who simply don't do what they are supposed to?  (No, I'm not referencing the autistic girl whose mother threatened everyone.)  

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:56 AM
I wonder if she showed the attendant the text message??
And I also wonder why she didn't get off the flight, after she boarded and received the text.
I also find it weird that if she knew he was depressed and going through things, why she took a "girls trip". Where were her friends??

Quoting anxiousschk:

While I agree that a phone call may not have changed the outcome -- the problem is that she will never know. 

The airline said that flight attendants are to notify the Captain in case of an emergency.  

They didn't. 

What is it with all the stories recently of horrible flight attendants who simply don't do what they are supposed to?  (No, I'm not referencing the autistic girl whose mother threatened everyone.)  

atlmom2
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Her phone should have been off so she wouldn't have even seen a text.  I bet he waited till she was gone to do it anyway and if someone wants to committ suicide they do.  This lady wants to blame someone other than her husband.  Also why was she gone away from her suicidal husband.  People today want to blame all the wrong people.  

atlmom2
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:24 AM

I fly quite a bit and so does dh.  He and I have never witnessed anything.  They are always nice and helpful.  I think the problem is people are rude and nasty to flight attendants also.  

This lady couldn't do a thing to help her dh and she wants to play the blame game.  

Quoting anxiousschk:

They didn't. 

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on May. 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't believe that's the case.  

I'm hardly saying all flight attendants are rude, I'm simply saying that in this case, they easily could have asked the captain for the permission for this woman to make a call. 

The article seems clear that it's company policy, which the flight attendants didn't follow. 

There was another recent story about a family with a toddler who was kicked off a flight, simply because the child was kicking his feet into the aisle.  They were allowed on the next flight, with the same seating situation.

The countless stories of flight attendants who aren't following policy when it comes to nursing on planes.  (Not counting the woman who wouldn't take her kid out of a sling.)  

The list goes on and on.  

Quoting atlmom2:

I fly quite a bit and so does dh.  He and I have never witnessed anything.  They are always nice and helpful.  I think the problem is people are rude and nasty to flight attendants also.  

This lady couldn't do a thing to help her dh and she wants to play the blame game.  

Quoting anxiousschk:

They didn't. 

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on May. 17, 2015 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not comfortable questioning why she left the house in the first place.  

Depression isn't an easy illness to live with or to love someone with.  He very probably told her to leave and promised her he'd be fine, we just don't know. 

I don't read every airline complaint and think "what horrible flight attendants/airline."  

But this is one where I do wonder why they just didn't ask the captain if she could make the call.  

Do I believe that the call would have made a difference? No.  

But it's one of those things where you can't be certain. 

Quoting billsfan1104: I wonder if she showed the attendant the text message?? And I also wonder why she didn't get off the flight, after she boarded and received the text. I also find it weird that if she knew he was depressed and going through things, why she took a "girls trip". Where were her friends??
Quoting anxiousschk:

They didn't. 

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Just the follow protocols set in place, it's their job. I'm sure they feel awful now and who knows if it would've made a difference, but still...it's their job.

I can't imagine the agony this woman felt for all those hours in the air and how she must feel now. Guilt, anger, sadness. I'm not sure what legal responsibility or consequences SW holds in this, but I can understand her feeling the need to do something, hold someone accountable. She was rendered useless when she felt her husband needed her the most by a flight attendant who was seemingly uncaring and unwilling to do what her job description allowed.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Depression isn't an easy illness to live with or to love someone with.  He very probably told her to leave and promised her he'd be fine, we just don't know. 

I don't read every airline complaint and think "what horrible flight attendants/airline."  

But this is one where I do wonder why they just didn't ask the captain if she could make the call.  

Quoting billsfan1104: I wonder if she showed the attendant the text message??

And I also wonder why she didn't get off the flight, after she boarded and received the text.

I also find it weird that if she knew he was depressed and going through things, why she took a "girls trip". Where were her friends??

Quoting anxiousschk:

They didn't. 

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM
I live with depression every day, my family knows it isn't easy to deal with. And they know the signs when I get to that point where I can get potentionally dangerous.
I think she is suffering a lot of guilt, and she is looking for someone to blame.
I do not know if the stewardesses are to blame though. I do not know what happened and why they didn't do anything or if they did do something.
Maybe they just wanted her to get home and didn't want to delay the flight.
Who knows?? But to out it in the public that she blames this airline for the suicide of her husband is totally wrong.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Quoting billsfan1104: I wonder if she showed the attendant the text message??

Quoting anxiousschk:

They didn't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)