Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O: FS Thread - Recipe Swap

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

Share your recipes ladies!

Do you know how to make your food stretch?

Do you have recipes that make cheap, yet nutritious meals?

Desserts?

Share them here (especially all you ladies bitching about someone buying snacks, desserts, etc on FS)

“I don't think..." then you shouldn't talk, said the Hatter.”― Alice in Wonderland

by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamadrama0101
by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Addiing cheap things like beans and rice are a good way to make meat stretch into several meals. I have also found that doing roasts as sandwhiches does the same as well. We also have salads with every meal which tends to make us eat less of the entree then we would have in the past.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
There is a FB group that I belong too where this lady feeds a family of six for 50 dollars a week. She uses a lot of coupons, makes her food homemade and uses leftovers as lunches.
She puts her deals online everyweek and shows the coupons she used and so forth.
Makes it easy for me, because I can just used the coupons she advises.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Soup- lots of soup...you can always add another cup of liquid to make it stretch. 

We eat soup at my house, a lot.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I love love soup!!!

Quoting Sisteract:

Soup- lots of soup...you can always add another cup of liquid to make it stretch. 

Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Me too! It freezes well too! I like to stock up on veggies in Spring and Summer, add them to soups and sauces, make purée s out of them and freeze. Makes my food bill in the Winter so much cheaper since very few things are in season here during that time.

I make my own pasta too and freeze it. Dumpling noodles, gnocchi, spaghetti, etc. I really need to invest in a pasta attachment for my mixer! :)

Quoting billsfan1104: I love love soup!!!

Quoting Sisteract:

Mrseoc
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a cheap but more nutritious than packaged snacks recipe.
This is kind of my go to quick something sweet. The () indicate my way of doing it. Everyone loves this recipe.

Chocolate chip bread.

Grease loaf pan (with coconut oil). Preheat 350.

2 cups flour. (White unbleached)
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, baking powder, salt.
Sift with fork
Separate bowl:
2 eggs (organic)
1/3c coconut oil (organic unrefined)
1/2c sugar (organic sugar for us, it's cheap at aldi)
Mix until combined.

add dry ingredients to wet and add
1 1/3c milk (organic whole)

Add 3/4c or 1c semi sweet chocolate chips. (Minis work even better)

Pour in pan. Bake 55-60 minutes.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I get a weekly CSA box. Since I will be traveling next week, yesterday, I took all the produce from Thursday's box and made stock, smoothie stuff, I juiced some, roasted some, cut, diced, minced, shocked...and froze a ton of stuff. I made pesto sauce and froze in containers. My freezer runneth over. LOL.

I also added some to the home made dog food that I make.

I have the Kitchen Aid pasta attachment, but rarely use it. I am addicted to Trader Joe's brown rice pasta- it's cheap too.

Quoting Pandora_13: Me too! It freezes well too! I like to stock up on veggies in Spring and Summer, add them to soups and sauces, make purée s out of them and freeze. Makes my food bill in the Winter so much cheaper since very few things are in season here during that time. I make my own pasta too and freeze it. Dumpling noodles, gnocchi, spaghetti, etc. I really need to invest in a pasta attachment for my mixer! :)
Quoting billsfan1104: I love love soup!!!
Quoting Sisteract:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We eat pasta quite a bit- I make my own sauces.

Fajitas are also a favorite.

I love the crockpot- we make different kinds of chili- meat, chicken, veggie, sweet potato, white bean, black bean.

armywifey1983
by on May. 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM

One rotisserie chicken, cooled and shredded (bones and skin discarded) or chicken pieces boiled, cooled and shredded

boxed Bisquick (prepare the biscuit recipe on box) or homemade biscuit dough (any basic recipe will do)

5 C low sodium chicken stock (reserve liquid if you cook chicken pieces instead of using a rotisserie chicken)

pinch of onion powder, pinch of paprika, salt and pepper

2 or 3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp flour

2 C milk

2 tbsp chopped parsley (can use dried, but use less)

Simmer chicken stock on stove in a large pot. Drop spoonfulls of biscuit dough into the stock. Typically, its ten minutes uncovered, then ten minutes covered to cook the dough. Remove the dough, keep warm in bowls for soup assembly. It will be sticky, so take care. Don't worry if you don't get every little piece of dough out.

Mix the milk and flour, then slowly add it to the still simmering chicken stock. Stir to keep the bottom from burning. Add chicken pieces to the broth to warm through, and add parsley, salt, pepper, onion powder, Worcestershire and paprika to taste. Portion dumplings into soup bowls, and ladle chicken and broth mixture over it. I like it as is, but you can add veggies like carrots, celery and onions to beef it up. Makes fabulous leftovers!

Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM
Roasted Garlic and Herb Couscous w/ Chicken and Zucchini (or whatever veggie)

2 boxes plain couscous
4tbs minced garlic
2 large zucchini (diced)
2 tbs Italian seasoning (fresh) 3 if dried
3 cups shredded chicken
1tbs sea salt
2tbs evo

Fill stock pot w/h2o - add salt. Bring to boil, boil chicken until done. Reserve chicken stock to cook couscous (as many cups as couscous boxes require)

Bring stock to boil, add couscous and herbs. Cook as directed on box.

Dice and mince zucchini and garlic. Sauteed in pan with evo until aldente (or desired tenderness).

Shred chicken.

Add chicken, zucchini, and garlic to couscous. Mix and serve.

This recipe is very tasty as is, but can be modified however you wish.

Enjoy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)