Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tacky or Not?

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM
  • 22 Replies

Was strolling around in another group and a mom was venting about her family not respecting her wishes to throw her own party and began insulting her ideas and changing everything - then decide to throw their own for her.

Not surprisingly, this sparked a huge debate in the thread. A few have said it is tacky (rather rudely), others have said it is not.

Is throwing your own party tacky?

Any party - birthday, bridal shower, bachelorette party, baby shower, grad party, etc - is it tacky to throw your own?

“I don't think..." then you shouldn't talk, said the Hatter.”― Alice in Wonderland

by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barnowl73
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM
No its not
VooDooB
by The Corrupter on May. 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM
Adults don't get "birthday parties" unless it's a traditional milestone (30, 40, etc) and no, you don't throw it yourself.

Tacky.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Who cares? If you want to have a party, then have a party. 

Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is it tacky? Why aren't adults allowed to throw parties outside of milestone birthdays?

Quoting VooDooB: Adults don't get "birthday parties" unless it's a traditional milestone (30, 40, etc) and no, you don't throw it yourself. Tacky.

“I don't think..." then you shouldn't talk, said the Hatter.”― Alice in Wonderland

VooDooB
by The Corrupter on May. 17, 2015 at 9:12 PM
Because you're not 8.

Quoting Pandora_13:

Why is it tacky? Why aren't adults allowed to throw parties outside of milestone birthdays?

Quoting VooDooB: Adults don't get "birthday parties" unless it's a traditional milestone (30, 40, etc) and no, you don't throw it yourself.

Tacky.

Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

So only kids are allowed to have fun with their friends and celebrate their birthday?

Quoting VooDooB: Because you're not 8.
Quoting Pandora_13:

Quoting VooDooB: Adults don't get "birthday parties" unless it's a traditional milestone (30, 40, etc) and no, you don't throw it yourself. Tacky.

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Why does it matter? 

lancet98
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends. 

Some people do it because they want more attention or gifts, but some do it as a way to stop other people from taking over and forcing them over and over to do things they don't enjoy.

If it's a blow for independence and self worth and individuality, I am in favor.

Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Not sure. My guess it it has something to with tradition and appearing to be asking for gifts?

Quoting copasetic1:

Why does it matter? 

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Asking for gifts is a good point. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)