Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birkin sets auction record for handbags, sold for $222,000

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:04 AM
  • 7 Replies
HONG KONG (AP) — Christie's said Monday that a Hermes designer handbag smashed a world auction record in Hong Kong.

The auction house did not identify the buyer of the crocodile skin Birkin Bag in fuschia with 18 karat gold and diamond hardware. It sold for 1.72 million Hong Kong dollars ($222,219).

The previous record was set at a U.S. auction in 2011 for another Birkin Bag, in red crocodile skin, that sold for $203,150.

The Birkin Bag was designed for and named after British actress Jane Birkin. It's famous for having a price tag in the thousands of dollars and a years-long waiting list.

The bag was one of more than 300 that Christie's put on the block in Hong Kong, which has emerged as a global auction center thanks to wealthy mainland Chinese.

A similar black Birkin Bag was offered for auction but didn't sell after failing to attract the minimum bid of 1 million Hong Kong dollars ($130,000).

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0c732cf35f6e4b27b9bb72bf49624fdd/birkin-sets-auction-record-handbags-sold-222000
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Those bags are so ugly. Have NO idea what possesses women to want to spend such an ungodly amount of money on them.  But whatever..

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM

I think they are cute -- but not $15,000 cute.  I think that's the "starter" price for one.  

Flippin' insane.  

Of course, if you've got enough to drop $200,000 on a purse, then it's probably the same thing as me heading to the Kate Spade outlet....

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

To me, this epitomizes so much that is wrong in a society that encourages consumerism,  materialism and elitism while people starve, have no shelter and die of preventable diseases. 

Since my preteen years, when people started paying absurd amounts of money to advertise overpriced name brands, I thought how unfair it was.  If I'm going to advertise your product, I feel as if I should be paid, not the other way around, lol.

The mentality behind status symbols makes me want to vomit.

I think the most I have ever paid for any purse is around $25.  I would pay more for quality but never, not in a million years, so I could show everyone that I could afford to pay too much for some stiched together pieces of leather.

quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM
I could get a knock off for about $50.
quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM
I agree with your first paragraph. I do buy name brand bags, but always second hand and only those that do not have the logo obnoxiously all over it. Right now I have a nice giraffe print Dooney bag I bought for $50 (authentic, I checked the serial number). The name is on there but it isn't offensively large like Coach.

Quoting idunno1234:

To me, this epitomizes so much that is wrong in a society that encourages consumerism,  materialism and elitism while people starve, have no shelter and die of preventable diseases. 

Since my preteen years, when people started paying absurd amounts of money to advertise overpriced name brands, I thought how unfair it was.  If I'm going to advertise your product, I feel as if I should be paid, not the other way around, lol.

The mentality behind status symbols makes me want to vomit.

I think the most I have ever paid for any purse is around $25.  I would pay more for quality but never, not in a million years, so I could show everyone that I could afford to pay too much for some stiched together pieces of leather.

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM

If I buy a name brand, it's related to my liking the quality of said brand, or simply a matter of liking the item.  I could give a shit less about status or showing anything off.  That mentality makes me ill.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Disposable income is good for the economy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)