Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If Your ‘Authentic Self’ Requires Plastic Surgery and Hormone Therapy, You Need Help, Not Affirmation.

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM
  • 110 Replies
7 moms liked this

I hope a lot of people are praying for Bruce Jenner. It seems most of Hollywood and the White House are applauding him decided that he is now a she.

Bruce Jenner certainly has issues, but society itself has gotten mentally sick when it confuses compassion with celebration.

Look, I realize this is going to piss off those of you who already live in a perpetual state of pissed-offedness, but if an alcoholic told you that his authentic self was to drink, you would not encourage that. If a person told you his authentic self was to be attracted to small boys, you would not encourage that. If a person told you that his authentic self was to mutilate his body, you would not encourage that.

When a sixty-five year old former Olympian tells you that he has decided after all these years that he is a she and his new name is going to be one fashionable among 17 year old girls and his own son’s girlfriend, you’re first reaction should not be to congratulate the man on finally finding his “authentic self”, but steering him to therapy.

This is nuts and oh by the way Bruce Jenner still has his. An authentic self does not seek surgery and hormone therapy.

He is not a she. It is not bigotted to point that out. It is the reality. We need to show Bruce Jenner compassion for his mental issues, not celebrate those issues. But we live in a society where up is down, bad is good, and normal is so passé.

Vanity Fair does not care about Bruce Jenner. They care about selling magazines. ABC News does not care about Bruce Jenner. They care about ratings. And most of those applauding Bruce Jenner right now care about an agenda more than a person.

But here is a man who has serious issues. He needs help and he needs prayer. He no more needs affirmation for what he is doing to himself than an alcoholic needs another drink. But that is what our society is going to do because our society has gotten drunk off its own narcissism — a narcissism now trying to keep up with Kardashians in new and exciting ways.

: Erick Erickson (Diary)

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandora_13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM
4 moms liked this

His identification as a woman didn't just happen "after all these years". He has been struggling with his identity nearly all his life, but has not been able to come out with it (or felt he could not) until recently when acceptance of such is wide - compared to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 years ago.

Pray for Bruce? Why?

He needed people's help and prayers back then - when he WAS mentally and emotionally struggling with not being allowed to be his true self (a she). The best "help" Jenner got was being able to finally, outwardly, identify as the female they always felt they were.

“I don't think..." then you shouldn't talk, said the Hatter.”― Alice in Wonderland

KenneMaw
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM
9 moms liked this

The gall of some people.  I am sure Bruce has prayed every day of his 60+ years on this planet to be different, but his prayers were not answered.    Although God is all powerful, Nature still gets a say and in this instance, Bruce identies as Caitlyn.    I cannot imagine living a lie for decades.  Honestly, it is a wonder he is in good physical and mental health because carrying this lie must have been awful.  

Sometimes, thanks to Nature, the outside doesn't match the inside.   So we color our hair, wear Spanx and yes, get plastic surgery.  It isn't anything to be ashamed of and it certainly doesn't mean that a person is authentic.    I think authencity comes from the inside and then is reflected on the outside.   Do you think that man who is known as the Tree man who has huge warts covering his body is living his authentic life?   Would we say he is less than a man for getting the warts removed not only for health but for vanity reasons?  I think not.

I consider myself a conservative and a Christian, but I have to admit I am growing weary of the constant Bible thumping, judging of others and denying acceptance.    We have gotten so far from Jesus' message of love for one another.   Instead we chose the easy way of pointing fingers at others in an effort to stop people from seeing our true selves.   It is sad. 

Della529
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

How does the author of this piece feel about women having liposuction or breast augmentation or any number of the other things that 50+ year old women do to modify their bodies?

nononenever
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:12 AM
4 moms liked this
If your authentic self requires insulin so you can survive does that make you mentally ill? If your authentic self requires botox injection to loosen the muscles in your legs so you can stand, does that make you mentally ill? If your authentic self requires surgery because you were born without a vaginal opening but you still want to have sex with your husband does that make you mentally ill?

There are millions of people who benefit from surgeries, medications, hormone treatments and therapies to live their authentic lives. Caitlyn Jenner is no different.

Not to mention, if you do happen to have a mental illness does that make you less somehow?
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:13 AM

I'm sure the thousands and thousands of middle aged women who seek out plastic surgery as well as hormone therapy to deal with the troubling side effects of menopause would disagree with you.  

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

You are addressing Mr. Erickson, yes?

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I'm sure the thousands and thousands of middle aged women who seek out plastic surgery as well as hormone therapy to deal with the troubling side effects of menopause would disagree with you.  

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm happy to pray for Caitlyn!  Pray that she gets the acceptance that she deserves.  

That anyone deserves.  

And eff that.  My authentic self doesn't have wrinkles.  Feel free to try to pray them away, but I'm going to be happy with my botox once this baby is out and I'm done nursing.  

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I will look and see if Mr. Erickson has addresses those issues..............

Quoting Della529:

How does the author of this piece feel about women having liposuction or breast augmentation or any number of the other things that 50+ year old women do to modify their bodies?

halsmommy14
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

just to repeat other's, she knew she was a woman DECADES ago.  she has come out publicly and said this numerous times.  she didn't just wake up last month and go 'ya know what, i want to be a woman now'.  smh seriously, regardless of whether you agree with the article or not, don't post such nonsense.  it just makes you look ignorant. 

oh and just to add, all of those 'perfect examples' HURT PEOPLE.  she is not hurting a single person by doing this. 

JustCJ
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Who billiejeans or the author of the piece she posted?

Quoting halsmommy14:

just to repeat other's, she knew she was a woman DECADES ago.  she has come out publicly and said this numerous times.  she didn't just wake up last month and go 'ya know what, i want to be a woman now'.  smh seriously, regardless of whether you agree with the article or not, don't post such nonsense.  it just makes you look ignorant. 

oh and just to add, all of those 'perfect examples' HURT PEOPLE.  she is not hurting a single person by doing this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)