Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California gov allows parole for transgender inmate for operation

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:02 AM
  • 13 Replies
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown is allowing parole for a transgender inmate who is trying to force California to become the first state to pay for sex reassignment surgery.

A federal judge in April ordered the state to provide the surgery, which had been scheduled for July. It was delayed after the state appealed.

ADVERTISEMENT
The governor's office said Friday that Brown was taking no action on the Board of Parole Hearings' recommendation to release Michelle-Lael Norsworthy, which means her parole will proceed.

The decision makes it less likely that the 51-year-old will be able to have surgery funded by the prison before she is released. Parole board spokesman Luis Patino said it usually takes about a week for an inmate to be released after the governor allows a parole to proceed.

Brown decided Norsworthy is no longer dangerous, 30 years after she fatally shot Franklin Gordon Liefer Jr., 26, following an argument in a Fullerton bar in November 1985.

Norsworthy, then 21, was convicted of second-degree murder after she shot Liefer three times. He died six weeks later.

She is being held at Mule Creek State Prison, a men's prison in Ione, near Sacramento. Prison records refer to her by her birth name of Jeffrey Bryan Norsworthy, though she has lived as a woman since the 1990s.

She was diagnosed with gender identity disorder in 1999 and began taking female hormones. She began asking the corrections department for the surgery in 2012 after learning a judge for the first time had ordered Massachusetts to provide an inmate with the procedure. However, that decision was overturned on appeal in December, and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene.

The 9th Circuit agreed to hear California's appeal of U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar's ruling and a hearing is scheduled for Thursday. The appellate court noted that the case raises serious legal questions about whether denying the surgery violates Norsworthy's constitutional rights against cruel and unusual punishment.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation says it has met all of its legal requirements by providing Norsworthy with counseling and hormone therapy.

The state filed paperwork in federal court Friday saying it has agreed to provide sex reassignment surgery for another inmate, Shiloh Quine, 56, to settle a separate lawsuit.

"CDCR evaluates every case individually, and in the Quine case, every medical doctor and mental health clinician who has reviewed this case, including two independent mental health experts, determined that this surgery is medically necessary for Quine," corrections department spokesman Jeffrey Callison said in an emailed statement.

Quine, formerly known as Rodney James Quine, is serving a life sentence for murder, kidnapping and robbery.

Norsworthy testified at her parole hearing in May that she accepts responsibility for her crime. She said at the time, she was "pretty much drinking every day all day" but is now sober and attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in prison.

She said she also takes steps to control her anger and make better judgments.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/08/california-gov-allows-parole-for-transgender-inmate-for-operation/?intcmp=hplnws
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:56 AM
As long as this parole was granted due to time served and not because the state is trying to avoid paying for reassignment surgery (which I think is a bit redic), then I don't see a problem.
broboxer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM
It sounds as if that is the case. I'm from Mass and am quite grateful we are not on the hook for Michelle Kosilek's surgery.

Quoting Luvnlogic: As long as this parole was granted due to time served and not because the state is trying to avoid paying for reassignment surgery (which I think is a bit redic), then I don't see a problem.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM
These people are clearly mentally ill
How does the cost of a lobotomy compare and if the state is paying for it shouldn't that be an option?
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 10:25 AM
I just browsed a few articles about this. She was sentenced to life with possibility of parole (one article says 17 years to life). CA law for second degree murder is anywhere from 15-20 years to life. She's been there nearly 30 years, I believe. So this seems like a happy coincidence that gets the state off the hook for the surgery. Although, it was pointed out that she'll prob qualify for Medicaid to pay for it so I guess the taxpayers are still on the hook.

Quoting broboxer: It sounds as if that is the case. I'm from Mass and am quite grateful we are not on the hook for Michelle Kosilek's surgery.
Quoting Luvnlogic: As long as this parole was granted due to time served and not because the state is trying to avoid paying for reassignment surgery (which I think is a bit redic), then I don't see a problem.
LGA1165
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh good lord.

I find it hard to be PC about cases like this.

Let her serve the rest of his/her sentence as she/he is now ...that would be just desserts for her/him after murdering someone. Why doe she /she get to have that surgery?  That is being way too nice and way too generous. Seriously!! Do murderers have free Laptops, Tablets and HD TV's too? Hmmmm?

Arghhhhhh

meriana
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 12:58 PM
4 moms liked this

The taxpayers should not be paying for these surgeries at all, ever. Anyone who wants these hormone treatments and surgeries should pay for them themselves. JMO. 

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Ridiculous this happened.  Also the govt shouldn't pay for any sex change operations either for any reason.  Unbelievable.  I don't care if people get sex changes as long as they pay for them themselves.  

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Jerry Brown has made insane decisions for years. California is pretty whacky.
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, agreed.

With the logic they are using, an inmate or someone on medicaid, could say my nose is too big, it's causing me emotional torment; therefore I need plastic surgery to fix my nose...

Quoting meriana:

The taxpayers should not be paying for these surgeries at all, ever. Anyone who wants these hormone treatments and surgeries should pay for them themselves. JMO. 

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the state being forced to continue HRT for a transgender inmate. Stopping hormones can cause all types of problems. However, I do not like states paying for SRS. With the cost of SRS and the lengths I know many transgender people go to to fund surgeries, I can honestly see some of them going to prison just for surgery. Instead we need to make health insurance companies start covering it just like they would a gallbladder removal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)