Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

John Boehner to resign as House speaker

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM
  • 42 Replies

Cooper Allen, USA TODAY 9:44 a.m. EDT September 25, 2015

John Boehner will resign as House speaker and from his Ohio congressional seat at the end of October, according to a statement from his office.
His resignation will take effect on Oct. 30.
Boehner has served as speaker since the Republicans took control of the House of Representatives following the 2010 midterm elections.
Boehner was first elected to his Ohio House seat in 1990.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/25/john-boehner-resigns-house-speaker/72793398/
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:54 AM

House Speaker John Boehner will resign from Congress at the end of October, his office confirmed to ABC News today.

The announcement was shared with members of the Republican caucus this morning, one day after a historic visit of Pope Francis to Capitol Hill, which Boehner helped facilitate.

Boehner has been under pressure from the right wing of his party as the coming battle over government funding heats up. Some lawmakers have mounted a challenge to unseat him from his leadership post.

"Speaker Boehner believes that the first job of any Speaker is to protect this institution and, as we saw yesterday with the Holy Father, it is the one thing that unites and inspires us all," an aide to Boehner told ABC News.

"The Speaker believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution," the aide said.

Get real-time updates as this story unfolds. To start, just "star" this story in ABC News' phone app. Download ABC News for iPhone here or ABC News for Android herehttp://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-speaker-john-boehner-resign/story?id=34034177

I wonder what the whole (true) story is.....

LIMom1105
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:08 AM
its in this piece, I suspect he wants out before there is a nasty coup. Maybe he has had it with his own party at this point.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM
3 moms liked this

I can certainly see where he would be sick and tired of the whole divisive mess and in particular his own party's bullshit. 

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:13 AM
Doing it on a Friday's "dump news day" and with the pope's UN Speech. I wonder why?
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
After the video of him weeping like a child makes me believe his conscience is kicking his ass for the prolonged almost irreparable damage he and his party has done.

#feelthebern
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Pope Francis probably hit a nerve, he should have visited sooner

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Yup, his party is ANTI nearly everything that the Pope is PRO

Quoting -Celestial-: After the video of him weeping like a child makes me believe his conscience is kicking his ass for the prolonged almost irreparable damage he and his party has done. #feelthebern

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

That is true. Those people need to remember that compassion is a virtue and greed is a vice. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Yup, his party is ANTI nearly everything that the Pope is PRO

Quoting -Celestial-: After the video of him weeping like a child makes me believe his conscience is kicking his ass for the prolonged almost irreparable damage he and his party has done. #feelthebern

MsDenuninani
by A.Ham on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I did not see this coming.

Good for him, though.  I really don't know why anyone would want to be a part of that hot mess.

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM

What the? He's resigning? My state will be better for but I'm shocked as hell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)