Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Robert Macdonald, Maine mayor, wants to publish names of welfare recipients

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM
  • 80 Replies
2 moms liked this
The Republican mayor of Lewiston, Maine, wants to publish the names of the state’s welfare recipients, arguing that it’s the public’s “right to know” how its money is being spent.

In a Thursday column for the Twin City Times, Mayor Robert Macdonald, who is up for reelection in November, wrote, “It’s time for a major overhaul of the many laws and policies dealing with confidentiality, laws that dictate how federal, state and local government[s] are run.

“In Maine there is a website that lists the pension amounts received by everyone who is issued a monthly check by the State of Maine. No privacy here because this is being paid out by the State; accordingly, taxpayers have a right to know,” he continued.

“Yet other recipients of state revenues are shielded. Yes, I am referring to those known as welfare recipients. Why are they treated differently than pensioners?” Mr. Macdonald asked. “The answer: our liberal, progressive legislators and their social-service allies have made them a victimized, protected class. It’s none of your business how much of your money they get and spend. Who are you to question it? Just shut up and pay!

“Well, the days of being quiet are gone,” he declared. “We will be submitting a bill to the next legislative session asking that a website be created containing the names, addresses, length of time on assistance and the benefits being collected by every individual on the dole. After all, the public has a right to know how its money is being spent.”

Mr. Macdonald can’t submit a state bill himself, so he would need a state lawmaker to back the plan in the legislature, The Washington Post notes.

Asked about Thursday’s column, the mayor told the Portland Press Herald, “I’m not sorry. I hope this makes people think twice about applying for welfare.”

Mr. Macdonald said his plan might encourage neighbors to “make a call.”

“Then we can go after all these people who are gaming the system,” he said.

Asked if that might hurt people who he thinks are justified in receiving benefits, Mr. Macdonald told the Herald, “I don’t care. Some people are going to get harmed, but if it’s for the good of everybody, that’s the way it is.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/24/robert-macdonald-maine-mayor-wants-to-publish-name/
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM
10 moms liked this

What a jerk.  What's the point?  To try to shame people receiving benefits?  They would "think twice" about receiving benefits; and then what? Not be able to feed their families? 

Poor people are not bad people.  They're poor.  There's a difference.

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM
5 moms liked this
I thought all the nosy folks at the supermarket already knew who was on FS by their shopping carts. Don't folks who use PA only buy sodas, shrimp, lunchables, and birthday cake?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caustinb
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm a Republican that truly believes that public assistance in this country needs a massive overhaul, and I think this is stupid.

ETA...I don't think the pension information should be public, either.
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Jesus. Fuck that guy.
Momniscient
by Obama licker on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Just when a person thinks pandering has hit rock bottom...
stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM
11 moms liked this

In that sense, he should post his entire private spending during his time in office. After all tax payers pay his salary and they "have a right to know" how their money is being spent.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:13 PM
15 moms liked this
Sure, let's do that! Let's also publish the names of all representatives who are wined and dined and bought out by lobbiests. Fair is fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly.

Quoting stormcris:

In that sense, he should post his entire private spending during his time in office. After all tax payers pay his salary and they "have a right to know" how their money is being spent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Good Grief. 

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Ok and on the next page he can list all the "corporate welfare" recipients and his connection to them.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)