Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UCLA students protest after partygoers wear blackface at 'Kanye'-themed frat party

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

Mobile Photo

A “Kanye Western”-themed fraternity party at UCLA is causing an uproar for its racial overtones after some partygoers showed up wearing blackface.

Thrown by Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and Alpha Phi sorority, students who attended the party Tuesday wore baggy clothes, dressed like the Kardashians and some wore blackface, the Daily Bruin reported.

After photographs of the party surfaced on social media, students expressed concerns that the organizations’ actions were racist and mocked black culture, reigniting the social media hashtag #BlackBruinsMatter.

The Afrikan Student Union is planning to meet at noon Thursday at the campus’ Bruin Bear statue to address what it described as a racial incident. The group is urging students to wear black.

Student Hanan Worku said she was disappointed by the party and the lack of response from campus officials.

“Yes that's right, a frat decided it would be okay to have their members repeat a part of history that demoralized, mocked and dehumanized African Americans/ And celebrate while doing it,” she wrote on Facebook. “They showed up with their chains and braids with stuffed butts for God knows what reason. True Bruin values amiright????!!!!! Not to mention all of this happened last night which happened to be a part of Black Bruin Welcome Week! Coincidence right??????”

Kelsee Thomas, a member of the black student union, said students confronted fraternity members at the party. A fraternity member apologized, but laughed when he was asked to write a letter to the group, she said.

“Everyone keep in mind that simply because I go to one of the top ranked institutions in the country, doesn't mean I'm any farther away from ignorance and racism as anyone else. They just hide it behind frat/sorority themes, anonymous postings, and micro-aggressions,” she said on Facebook. “This isn't over though.”

UCLA said it is investigating the party and talking to students.

“While we do not yet have all the facts, the alleged behavior is inconsistent with good judgment as well as our principles of community,” UCLA told KNBC-TV.

Sigma Phi Epsilon’s national office says the UCLA fraternity has temporarily suspended activities as it investigates the incident.

“Building diverse and inclusive communities is core to our identity as an organization, and we have zero tolerance for racist behavior,” the organization’s spokesman, Beaux Carriere, said in a statement. “Sigma Phi Epsilon will continue to work with the university and UCLA community to investigate these claims and hold students accountable for any inappropriate behavior.”

The Los Angeles Times has reached out to the sorority for comment.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ucla-blackface-kanye-party-20151008-story.html
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:47 AM
BLACK FACE IS NEVER OKAY.
LIKE NEVER.

WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD CONCEPT FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND?
NO BLACK FACE. EVER.
VooDooB
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaamcism!

VooDooB
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting couture-mommy: BLACK FACE IS NEVER OKAY. LIKE NEVER. WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD CONCEPT FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND? NO BLACK FACE. EVER.

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
And that's never ok either. I hated that movie.

But I have to ask, this article was strictly about black face, not some early millenia movie from two washed up actors.

So why the tit for tat? Was it that you assumed that I forgot about this flop of a movie, therefore saying that only blackface happens? I surely hope not Voodoo, because this is exactly why it's difficult trying to get a point across in here.

Tit for tat is never attractive, and assuming is just downright ugly.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting couture-mommy: BLACK FACE IS NEVER OKAY.
LIKE NEVER.

NO BLACK FACE. EVER.

VooDooB
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Never saw the movie.

I have the Bill of Rights in front of me. I don't see anything it it that says "you do not have the right to never be offended".

Kids did nothing wrong.

Quoting couture-mommy: And that's never ok either. I hated that movie. But I have to ask, this article was strictly about black face, not some early millenia movie from two washed up actors. So why the tit for tat? Was it that you assumed that I forgot about this flop of a movie, therefore saying that only blackface happens? I surely hope not Voodoo, because this is exactly why it's difficult trying to get a point across in here. Tit for tat is never attractive, and assuming is just downright ugly.
Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting couture-mommy: BLACK FACE IS NEVER OKAY. LIKE NEVER. WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD CONCEPT FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND? NO BLACK FACE. EVER.

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM
I personally don't give a fuck about a piece of paper written by a racist white man back in the times when black people weren't even considered human.

Black face is never ok.
That's something white people will have to deal with. Just like we have to deal with the mockery of our whole essence since day one.

It's never ok.

Quoting VooDooB:

Never saw the movie.

I have the Bill of Rights in front of me. I don't see anyhing it it that says "you do not have the right to never be offended".

Kids did nothing wrong.

Quoting couture-mommy: And that's never ok either. I hated that movie.

But I have to ask, this article was strictly about black face, not some early millenia movie from two washed up actors.

So why the tit for tat? Was it that you assumed that I forgot about this flop of a movie, therefore saying that only blackface happens? I surely hope not Voodoo, because this is exactly why it's difficult trying to get a point across in here.

Quoting VooDooB:

LIKE NEVER.

NO BLACK FACE. EVER.

VooDooB
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting couture-mommy: I personally don't give a fuck about a piece of paper written by a racist white man back in the times when black people weren't even considered human. Black face is never ok. That's something white people will have to deal with. Just like we have to deal with the mockery of our whole essence since day one. It's never ok.
Quoting VooDooB:

Never saw the movie.

I have the Bill of Rights in front of me. I don't see anyhing it it that says "you do not have the right to never be offended".

Kids did nothing wrong.

Quoting couture-mommy: And that's never ok either. I hated that movie. But I have to ask, this article was strictly about black face, not some early millenia movie from two washed up actors. So why the tit for tat? Was it that you assumed that I forgot about this flop of a movie, therefore saying that only blackface happens? I surely hope not Voodoo, because this is exactly why it's difficult trying to get a point across in here. Tit for tat is never attractive, and assuming is just downright ugly.
Quoting VooDooB:

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM
I'm so happy you find the mockery of half of my race amusing.
I on the other do not.
It's extremely insulting and not to mention, racist.

But hey, I don't expect to change the racial mindset of the masses.
But I damn sure intend to voice my opinion and point out injustice at every turn.

Quoting VooDooB:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting couture-mommy: I personally don't give a fuck about a piece of paper written by a racist white man back in the times when black people weren't even considered human.

Black face is never ok.
That's something white people will have to deal with. Just like we have to deal with the mockery of our whole essence since day one.

It's never ok.

Quoting VooDooB:

Never saw the movie.

Kids did nothing wrong.

Quoting VooDooB:

LIKE NEVER.

NO BLACK FACE. EVER.

VooDooB
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:17 PM

What I find amusing is you screaming raaaaaaaaaacism at every little innocent thing while you say completely racist things.

Quoting couture-mommy: I'm so happy you find the mockery of half of my race amusing. I on the other do not. It's extremely insulting and not to mention, racist. But hey, I don't expect to change the racial mindset of the masses. But I damn sure intend to voice my opinion and point out injustice at every turn.
Quoting VooDooB:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting couture-mommy: I personally don't give a fuck about a piece of paper written by a racist white man back in the times when black people weren't even considered human. Black face is never ok. That's something white people will have to deal with. Just like we have to deal with the mockery of our whole essence since day one. It's never ok.
Quoting VooDooB:

Never saw the movie.

Kids did nothing wrong.

Quoting VooDooB:

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:18 PM
I've never said a thing racist.
If anything I give factual information.

But go ahead and please humor me. What was racist with what I've said. Here and now or ever in my history of being on CM. I'LL WAIT

Quoting VooDooB:

What I find amusing is you screaming raaaaaaaaaacism at every little innocent thing while you say completely racist things.

Quoting couture-mommy: I'm so happy you find the mockery of half of my race amusing.
I on the other do not.
It's extremely insulting and not to mention, racist.

But hey, I don't expect to change the racial mindset of the masses.
But I damn sure intend to voice my opinion and point out injustice at every turn.

Quoting VooDooB:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting couture-mommy: I personally don't give a fuck about a piece of paper written by a racist white man back in the times when black people weren't even considered human.

Black face is never ok.

It's never ok.

Quoting VooDooB:

Never saw the movie.

Kids did nothing wrong.

Quoting VooDooB:

LIKE NEVER.

NO BLACK FACE. EVER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)