Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Target features girl with disability as Princess Elsa in viral Halloween ad

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

ORLANDO, Florida (news965.com) -- Target's latest Halloween ad is being praised on social media for featuring a little girl with leg braces and arm crutches as Princess Elsa from "Frozen."

The advertisement for Halloween costumes went viral after a mother who has a daughter with disabilities, Jen Spickenagel Kroll, posted it to Facebook and thanked the retailer for including all types of children.

"Including children with special needs into advertising makes them less of a spectacle to the general public when they venture out into the real world. Normalizing disabilities in children is PRICELESS," Kroll's post read, in part.

Many other parents and supporters have taken to Twitter to thank Target and give them a thumbs-up.

Target said its advertising team works hard to include all of their guests.

This isn't the first time the retailer has been inclusive of all types of children. In 2012, it featured a model with Down syndrome in one of its advertisements.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/30349464/target-features-girl-with-disability-as-princess-elsa-in-viral-halloween-ad?utm_campaign=Socialflow+Facebook&utm_source=socialflow&utm_medium=Faceboook
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:24 AM

That's cool.

I can imagine it does make many young ones with disabilities smile, feeling more normal among the other kiddos rather than abnormal.

Mrs.KAZ
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM
I love that Target does this, they also use down syndrome kids. It is wonderful to see.
Mizz_Sassyfrass
by Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM
I think it's wonderful that they do this, it'll make the disabled as a whole, more normal to the general public.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:10 AM
this is good. my kids go to a district where there are several kids with disabilities, but not everyone does. this makes it less shocking to kids with less exposure to people with disabilities.
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Oct. 27, 2015 at 11:16 AM

I'm not sure how anyone could have anything negative to say about this.  It's great. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Normalizing disabilities is cool. I mean, annoying that they need to be "normalized" in the first place, but cools that it's less taboo i guess.

janessa27
by Janessa on Oct. 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM

This is awesome

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)