Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everything The GOP Candidates Said About Equal Pay During The Debate Is BS—And Then Some

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM
  • 0 Replies

Everything The GOP Candidates Said About Equal Pay During The Debate Is BS—And Then Some

OCTOBER 29, 2015 9:58 AM

While watching the GOP Debate tonight with a friend, the candidates started talking about equal pay for equal work and I literally stood up off the couch to yell “Bullshit” at the TV.

Here are the facts, folks. Say whatever you want to attack President Obama, the very first bill he signed as president was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, so don’t even try and pretend like he hasn’t done anything for women and families.

Republicans? What were they doing? Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, and Ted Cruz all voted against cloture to bring the Paycheck Fairness Act to the Senate floor for an up or down vote. Get this: Rubio even had the gall, on the Senate floor, to say “I just think we’re wasting time” while the Senate was discussing these equal pay bills. But hell, at least he knew what paycheck fairness was. Jeb can’t consider himself so lucky.

Christie is worse. As governor, he vetoed two bills that would have helped with equal pay for equal work. The first one would have required transparency for salaries for all government contractors. The other was a state version of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Again, both were vetoed.

Just last year, the Post and Courier said that Carly Fiorina called the Paycheck Fairness Act “propaganda.” She went on to say she “will use that term when they holler about a ‘War on Women’ – [It] is fallacious and insulting to women. And I think this piece of legislation, equal pay for equal work, it’s a nice title, but the truth is, it is Democrats who support seniority systems, and seniority systems are the greatest impediment to equal pay for equal work.”

You know, I’m willing to hear how Carly’s plan would actually achieve anything for women. Seriously. Enlighten me. I’ll wait.

I’m so sick of the hypocrisy on these issues. They like to pretend that they are allies to women and the lip service is strong, but at every opportunity to do something meaningful that helps women and helps families, they walk the other way and vote against it. You are not an ally to women. If you truly care, I challenge you to bring that bill to the Senate floor tomorrow.

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)