Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A picture of a terrorist...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM
  • 2 Replies

Imagine waking up, the morning after a horrific terror attack, to find your face all over social media and even sections of the press, fingering you as the culprit. This actually happened to A Canadian Sikh man over the weekend, after somebody photoshopped a selfie from his Twitter profile to make him look like a terrorist.

Veerender Jubbal could scarcely believe his eyes when he spotted an image of himself on Saturday. He recognized the image as a selfie he’d snapped in the bathroom of his Canadian home, using his iPad. Except, now, the iPad had been turned into a Quran, and he is wearing at the explosive vest of a suicide bomber.

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 11.21.34 AM

Spot the difference

Jubbal took to social media to try to clarify that a terrible mistake was being made. It is important to remember that in the high tension of an unfolding terror alert, this sort of threat could have authorities raining hell on his home in short order.

But before long, the press had picked up on the image too, and Jubbal was seeing his face in the front page of international newspapers and sites, branded as a terrorist. This was the front page of Spanish newspaper La Razon on Sunday, note the top left corner.

With the story continuing to spread, Jubball continued to tweet his identity and that the case was a hoax.

But it seemed very few in the media were listening. TV Channel Sky TG24 tweeted the image as truth too.

At this point, Jubball had just about had enough.

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 11.35.21 AM

As Mashable reports:

It hasn’t been established who was behind the doctoring, but Jubbal hinted that it may be related to his criticism of the controversial GamerGate movement. Jubbal, who describes himself as a freelance writer, games critic and diversity consultant on Twitter, had also started the #StopGamerGate2014 hashtag. According to several Storify threads, he has been attacked before for his pro-diversity stance in gaming.

This is not the only major mistake that have been circulated as facts in the days following the Friday 13 attacks on Paris. Mainstream and social media pointed the finger at Egypt for the attacks after an Egyptian passport was found at one of the attack spots, only for it to be uncovered later that the passport belongs to a critically injured victim. And then of course there was the discovery of a Syrian passport that had the entire right wing across the West crying they were vindicated to treat Syrian refugees as terrorists – except that the passport was a fake, made in Turkey (a Western ally).

These cases serve as yet another reminder for journalists and non-journalists alike to take responsibility for the information they transmit. It’s on all of us to fact check before we publish. Especially when people’s reputations and even their lives depend on it.

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM

hmmmm, I guess he will learn to lock down his photos? I do see a difference in the right hand corner of the back of the tub....I guess they could have photo shopped that in?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Over the last few days I have seen some disgusting things, memes, comments, photos that have been photo shopped to meet with the mind of the person doing so.

All of this hatred and ugliness while claiming to be such a better person than those they hate.

I am not talking about the terrorists.

It takes a sick mind to do something like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)