Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can Santa be a commercialized aspect of other religions?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM
  • 37 Replies

Or is it only about celebrating the Christian gods sons birthday? I do understand Santa was initially a saint which would indicate Christianity-however, Santa as we know it is very commercialized; an elf having, magical time stopping gift giving reideer flying Coke drink cookie eating red suit wearing guy. 

Why can't that be a part of any holiday? Maybe he can do all teh houses in "one night" because it's actually only one belief per night usually. thoughts?

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM

I am not understanding what you are asking......

He is part of the holiday.  Or are you suggesting, or asking, why  isn't he part of every holiday?

Pema_Jampa
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

In Belgium they celebrate St.Nicolas which is early December. Santa is an American thing and seems to have to do something with advertising on soda. 

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM

We celebrate St. Nick day every Dec. 6.  

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

In Belgium they celebrate St.Nicolas which is early December. Santa is an American thing and seems to have to do something with advertising on soda. 

Pema_Jampa
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:05 PM

You of European background? Overseas?

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My great-great grandparents came over from Germany over 100 years ago.  I live in the Midwest US.   Catholic families often celebrate St. Nick day.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

You of European background? Overseas?

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

meriana
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM

I've never thought of Santa as having anything to do with the birth of Jesus.I also have never considered him a part of any particular faith.  I don't know why he couldn't be a part of other holidays except that since he supposedly lives in the North Pole and is always dressed in fairly heavy winter-like attire, he might seem particularly out of place during a spring or summer holiday

Saw a cute movie the other day in which the Santa's features and skin coloring changed to coincide with the features/coloring of the child sitting on his lap.  It was pretty cool

HelloSweetie619
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:53 PM
We don't do Santa so it's not something I have to worry about. We keep it focused on Christ and family. The modern idea of Santa very much conflicts with our religious values and could be very confusing to my son so I plan to go old school and keep it simple.
kit_manson
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We are pagan, and we celebrate both Yule and Christmas. Yule is for our little family, and is religious with a few gifts and foods. We focus on the religious side of things. Christmas is for extended family and gifts, and Santa Claus.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Eva.Destruction:

Or is it only about celebrating the Christian gods sons birthday? I do understand Santa was initially a saint which would indicate Christianity-however, Santa as we know it is very commercialized; an elf having, magical time stopping gift giving reideer flying Coke drink cookie eating red suit wearing guy. 

Why can't that be a part of any holiday? Maybe he can do all teh houses in "one night" because it's actually only one belief per night usually. thoughts?

Given that Bishop Nikolaos of Smyrna (a rabble rousing and violent man) stole the story he's famous for (anonymous presents) from a local pagan deity, as a public relations exercise, I think paganism should have at least as great a claim upon the "Santa" figure as Christianity.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 17, 2015 at 3:59 AM

He would be the Holly King I suppose in some traditions or Dagda in others and wouldn't look like the mall santa, yet that image displayed as the popular US Santa ideal was developed by Coca Cola so as such I suppose it really belongs to whomever wishes to have it. It wouldn't require a religion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)