Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holy Keys! "Self taught"

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teen-pianist-viral-thanks-virtuoso-performance-article-1.2509628

http://thegrio.com/2016/01/26/teenage-pianist-viral-performance-michigan-montel-west/

high school senior who taught himself how to play piano had no idea when he sat down at the piano in a mall that he was being recorded.

Now, footage of Monntel West’s virtuoso performance is going viral, and everyone who sees him play is stunned by his talent.

Sara Hadley, who captured the video of the piano-playing teen, said, “I had goosebumps.”

“It was just amazing, and I figured he just deserved some sort of recognition,” she added.

West said that the performance started simply because he was bored while he was waiting for a friend in the mall. He spotted the piano and sat down to play “River Flows in You,” and soon, he had drawn a crowd.

“Everybody has those hidden talents and hidden abilities,” the Everett High School senior said.

“Hopefully this shows people to not be afraid to show them.”

West has never had any training and does not even own a piano. He can’t afford to take piano lessons, either, but he hopes to study music management for two years at Lansing Community College and then transfer to Michigan State University. Fans of his viral video have already set up a GoFundMe page to help West get his own piano.

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:09 PM

This is beautiful.

LGAll65
by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:34 AM
I love this! I actually got teary-eyed when I saw this on the news a few days ago. Wonderful!
Radarma
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM

Wow.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 1:42 AM

oh, good, I'm glad to see people pulling together to get this kid money for a musical education. as good as he is now he could really be something special with training. 

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 7:04 AM

As a piano player, I don't find his performance all that impressive.

The self part taught is impressive.

What is most impressive of all is that in this day and age, someone's life can change in an instant, simply because they made a decision to sit down and play a song and someone was impressed enough to record and post it.  That part is awesome.

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 7:06 AM

Jeez..."self part taught"??  Need to get me some more caffeine....

The fact that he doesn't even own a piano makes me wonder how the hell he taught himself this. 

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 7:52 AM
These Gofundme accounts are getting ridiculous.
RaverLady
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Quoting idunno1234:

Jeez..."self part taught"??  Need to get me some more caffeine....

The fact that he doesn't even own a piano makes me wonder how the hell he taught himself this. 

The DN article says he practiced on a keyboard.  I could say that I don't own "a piano" either.  But I play and practice every day on electronic keyboards.    So, if I claimed I could play like this "without even owning a piano" it might stun and amaze, but it would be very misleading.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2016 at 8:19 PM
What a racist DAR is!
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Sep. 15, 2016 at 8:20 PM
You still are

Quoting Radarma: What a racist DAR is!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)