Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Germany's Merkel says refugees must return home once war is over

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:33 PM
  • 7 Replies

Not only are they now expected to return home, Merkel says migrants must be shot if they try to enter illegally.  I called it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-germany-refugees-idUSKCN0V80IH

German Chancellor Angela Merkel tried on Saturday to placate the increasingly vocal critics of her open-door policy for refugees by insisting that most refugees from Syria and Iraq would go home once the conflicts there had ended.

Despite appearing increasingly isolated, Merkel has resisted pressure from some conservatives to cap the influx of refugees, or to close Germany's borders.

Support for her conservative bloc has slipped as concerns mount about how Germany will integrate the 1.1 million migrants who arrived last year, while crime and security are also in the spotlight after a wave of assaults on women in Cologne at New Year by men of north African and Arab appearance.

The influx has played into the hands of the right-wing Alternative for Germany (AfD), whose support is now in the double digits, and whose leader was quoted on Saturday saying that migrants entering illegally should, if necessary, be shot.

Merkel said it was important to stress that most refugees had only been allowed to stay for a limited period.

"We need ... to say to people that this is a temporary residential status and we expect that, once there is peace in Syria again, once IS has been defeated in Iraq, that you go back to your home country with the knowledge that you have gained," she told a regional meeting of her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

Merkel said 70 percent of the refugees who fled to Germany from former Yugoslavia in the 1990s had returned.

Horst Seehofer, leader of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the CDU's Bavarian sister party, has threatened to take the government to court if the flow of asylum seekers is not cut.

Merkel urged other European countries to offer more help "because the numbers need to be reduced even further and must not start to rise again, especially in spring".

But she also said it should not be shy about turning people back and creating "border protection installations" - and that border guards should, if necessary, shoot at migrants trying to enter illegally.

No police officer wanted to shoot at a migrant, Petry said, adding "I don't want that either but, ultimately, deterrence includes the use of armed force".

Such comments evoke memories of Germany's Cold War division, when guards in the communist East, led by Erich Honecker, were under orders to shoot people attempting to cross the heavily fortified border into the West.

"The last German politician who let refugees be shot at was Erich Honecker," said Thomas Oppermann, a senior member of the Social Democrats.

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MelanieJK
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Which war?     There's multiple wars with all the different factions.   If one ever does end another pops up.     I seriously doubt that the end of Assad or ISIS will mean peace.     Anyone who doesn't want any part of any of it probably knows they need to find a permanent alternative.    

MrsHMS
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:31 AM

I think Syrians should go to Russia. Clearly, they are used to living under very heavy handed government,  Saddam was an ass but he knew how to keep Iraq people in line.  Same with the Syrians.They are not conditioned to live in a Liberal democracy. If Merkel needs millions of people to come to her country to help the aging Germans she should get them from a country that is playing with the same value system. Syrians need to go to Russia, Iran or Saudi Arabia. The Saudi's took in Kuwaiti refugees during the Gulf war so it isn't true they don't help refugees. They just knew how the Syrians were and didn't want any part of it.

MrsHMS
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:52 AM

LOL!  I"m well aware no one cares what I think.. If there was a vote, I would cast my vote that they go to Russia where in my admittedly ignorant and limited knowledgeable of the inner workings of the Russian Government ,but it seems to me they would take care of these issues. In another post a boy is raped, women are raped and  unarmed citizen not allowing  the police access to the victims. From what i have seen from the Russian police in videos, they would not be denied access and would get that kid by any means necessary not running out the back door. The German police are not equipped to deal with these problems.  THese  situations exceeds their capabilities.

Quoting BY2CO: Why would they go to Russia? You think the Russian people want them there?
Quoting MrsHMS:

I think Syrians should go to Russia. Clearly, they are used to living under very heavy handed government,  Saddam was an ass but he knew how to keep Iraq people in line.  Same with the Syrians.They are not conditioned to live in a Liberal democracy. If Merkel needs millions of people to come to her country to help the aging Germans she should get them from a country that is playing with the same value system. Syrians need to go to Russia, Iran or Saudi Arabia. The Saudi's took in Kuwaiti refugees during the Gulf war so it isn't true they don't help refugees. They just knew how the Syrians were and didn't want any part of it.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:27 AM
3 moms liked this

Markel is an idiot if she thinks the refugees flooding Germany will return to their countries. 

I do think this should be a wake-up call to the US when liberal countries in Europe have come to point where they are willing to shoot people attempting to cross their board. 

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Quite the change of face there Merkel. Gee I wonder why?!?

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM

And some want to open the flood gates to America for these refugees. These same people label you a "bigot" if you are weary and want to keep Americans safe from the madness. I think Merkel stating that illegals should be shot speaks volumes. She is seriously naive if she believe they will go home.

BY2CO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM
The Russian government and Russian police is no more equipped to deal with the situation than the German government and police. Just an FYI. I have most of my family and a lot of friends who live in Russia. They don't want then there

Quoting MrsHMS:

LOL!  I"m well aware no one cares what I think.. If there was a vote, I would cast my vote that they go to Russia where in my admittedly ignorant and limited knowledgeable of the inner workings of the Russian Government ,but it seems to me they would take care of these issues. In another post a boy is raped, women are raped and  unarmed citizen not allowing  the police access to the victims. From what i have seen from the Russian police in videos, they would not be denied access and would get that kid by any means necessary not running out the back door. The German police are not equipped to deal with these problems.  THese  situations exceeds their capabilities.

Quoting BY2CO: Why would they go to Russia? You think the Russian people want them there?

Quoting MrsHMS:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)