Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UNC study looks at pot use among college students

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM
  • 11 Replies
A University of Northern Colorado study will examine how marijuana use among college students relates to their academic motivation and performance.

The three-year, $402,249 study — funded by the National Institutes of Health — will involve the testing of 150 college students who use marijuana.

UNC faculty researchers Kristina Phillips, Michael Phillips and Trent Lalonde sees to better understand the factors related to heavy marijuana use such as craving, depression and anxiety, and academic motivation performance and persistence.

"One substance-related factor that gets little attention is craving," the researchers noted in their research summary. "It is possible that greater marijuana craving could lead to more frequent marijuana use, thus impacting not only the cognitive focus of students but also their motivation for academic work."

Researchers will also collect data through text messaging. Students involved in the project will be asked to respond to questions via text message in real-time. Assessments will also include a follow-up review of participants' academic records.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29622009/unc-study-looks-at-pot-use-among-college
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a college student. I also smoke marijuana. I am currently holding a 3.0 and will graduate on time this spring. My professors have told me that I am one of their more engaged students. I have also been pushed to further my education by these professors since they seem to see potential in me.

Does that mean every pot smoking college kid is like me? No. I will be interested to see what this study says.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I smoked a lot during my last three years of college. I graduated with a 4.0. There was no change in my GPA from before I started smoking to after.

After college I went into the education field and quite smoking altogether. I haven't smoked since. It's a non issue with me.

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: I'm a college student. I also smoke marijuana. I am currently holding a 3.0 and will graduate on time this spring. My professors have told me that I am one of their more engaged students. I have also been pushed to further my education by these professors since they seem to see potential in me.

Does that mean every pot smoking college kid is like me? No. I will be interested to see what this study says.
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a 4.0. I was an honor roll student and was on the deans list. Marijuana didn't change that. DH getting sick again did.

I smoke only at night. After DD goes to bed. If I need to quit smoking for a job that won't be an issue.

Quoting NWP: I smoked a lot during my last three years of college. I graduated with a 4.0. There was no change in my GPA from before I started smoking to after.

After college I went into the education field and quite smoking altogether. I haven't smoked since. It's a non issue with me.

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: I'm a college student. I also smoke marijuana. I am currently holding a 3.0 and will graduate on time this spring. My professors have told me that I am one of their more engaged students. I have also been pushed to further my education by these professors since they seem to see potential in me.

QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Shocking that smoking pot would effect motivation.. who whould have thought?  We needed a study for that?  

Schauseil
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM
Yes, because it's a big misconception. I personally know many business owners, academic professionals, lawyers, and one judge. It is very rare to find someone that doesn't do at least one drug because they are in positions where they don't get drug tested and don't have to worry about it. Yet it has zero impact on their professional abilities. Personally I have found that the higher up you get the drug of choice changes from pot to coke, mostly because coke is much more expensive.

Quoting QueenBarbie:

Shocking that smoking pot would effect motivation.. who whould have thought?  We needed a study for that?  

LGAll65
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:31 PM
Yah and Coke can be deadly too .
Pot is expensive ,too .
I've never wanted to try it . And now I could never afford it .

Quoting Schauseil: Yes, because it's a big misconception. I personally know many business owners, academic professionals, lawyers, and one judge. It is very rare to find someone that doesn't do at least one drug because they are in positions where they don't get drug tested and don't have to worry about it. Yet it has zero impact on their professional abilities. Personally I have found that the higher up you get the drug of choice changes from pot to coke, mostly because coke is much more expensive.

Quoting QueenBarbie:

Schauseil
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:50 PM
Is coke really dangerous? The area I live in has such a bad problem with pills and heroine that I have never heard of someone being harmed from coke. It's super expensive here. I'd say $100 would get you enough for three ppl for one night. Maybe 2 nights if you don't do alot. Idk how much in ounces or grams that actually is though cause I don't do it myself.

Quoting LGAll65: Yah and Coke can be deadly too .
Pot is expensive ,too .
I've never wanted to try it . And now I could never afford it .

Quoting Schauseil: Yes, because it's a big misconception. I personally know many business owners, academic professionals, lawyers, and one judge. It is very rare to find someone that doesn't do at least one drug because they are in positions where they don't get drug tested and don't have to worry about it. Yet it has zero impact on their professional abilities. Personally I have found that the higher up you get the drug of choice changes from pot to coke, mostly because coke is much more expensive.

Quoting QueenBarbie:

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM

That is a stereotype.  I won't be surprised if their findings show different. 

Quoting QueenBarbie:

PamR
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM

College students smoke pot?  Who knew?

I think this study could have been done at any time in the last 75 years.  Is it because it's legal in Colorado for recreational use?

thebride
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM

I smoked hash and cannabis through my college years. graduated  from UCSC while being a single mother of two and working a full time job. And that was before medical cannabis was legal. Did I mention I graduated with honours?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)