Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Joe's Crab Shack serves up photo of 19th century lynching as fun-for-the-whole-family

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

'Joe's Crab Shack' Serves Up Photo of 19th Century Lynching as Fun-for-the-Whole-Family

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM

A Joe's Crab Shack in Minneapolis is under fire after displaying an image of an 1895 Texas lynching on one of their tables.

The tables of the restaurant each appear to have been embedded with a historical photo. To add insult to injury, the image of the lynching also included a joke in the form of a bubble caption from the scaffold reading, "All I said was 'I don't like the gumbo.'" Tyrone Williams and Chauntyll Allen, the two African-American patrons who discovered the photo during an early birthday dinner, didn't stay for the menu.

"Me and Chauntyll, we just felt sick and confused," Williams told CBS affiliate WCCO. "It was just sickening."

According to the pair, the restaurant was profusely apologetic, telling them they had never seen the photo before but suggested that the table manufacturer has probably sent others into distribution as well.

The NAACP is seeking a full apology from the restaurant chain's corporate headquarters, though it probably won't be enough for Williams.

"We will no longer be eating in any Joe's Crab Shack," he said in a press conference.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/03/11/joes-crab-shack-serves-up-photo-of-19th-century-lynching-as-fun/21326267/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D-385374520

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow...I mean...wow...

I don't usually get my panties in a bunch over silly pictures but this is just wrong on a few different levels.
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:04 PM

I don't believe for a second restaurant stuff had never seen the photo before 

liar

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It's really sickening 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: Wow...I mean...wow... I don't usually get my panties in a bunch over silly pictures but this is just wrong on a few different levels.

LGAll65
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Ewww. Who would manufacture tables with pictures like that in them ?
Those were horrible times - nobody needs to look at racist photos while eating .
But we must never forget that there WAS racism and killing of blacks for no reason other than the fact they had black skin .
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it is. I'm thankful we don't have that restaurant here.

Quoting annabl1970:

It's really sickening 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: Wow...I mean...wow...

I don't usually get my panties in a bunch over silly pictures but this is just wrong on a few different levels.

JustMyHumbleOpi
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Unreal! There is no way they had never seen it. Who put it there and who waits on and busses those tables? Are they seeing impaired?
Mama8080
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Chauntyll

hahahahha ok. So don't eat there

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LGAll65: Ewww. Who would manufacture tables with pictures like that in them ? Stupid, insensitive or racists low lifes or all of that.;(
And same should be said about the ones who bought those tables.
Those were horrible times - nobody needs to look at racist photos while eating . But we must never forget that there WAS racism and killing of blacks for no reason other than the fact they had black skin .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)