Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soldiers forced to sit through “white privilege” training during Equal Opportunity brief

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM
  • 4 Replies
US Army troops were forced to sit through a lecture on “white privilege” last year, according to documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

Acquired by the government watchdog group Judicial Watch, the PowerPoint presentation -entitled “Power and Privilege”- was included in a diversity training session that was presented to over 400 soldiers of Fort Gordon’s 67th Signal Battalion back in April of last year.

An image of the slide appeared later on the Facebook page U.S Army W.T.F! moments

and generated a torrent of negative comments about political correctness run amok.

In the presentation, soldiers were informed that “privilege exists when one group has something of value that is denied to others simply because of the groups they belong to, rather than because of anything they’ve done or failed to do. Privilege has become one of those loaded words we need to reclaim so that we can use it to name and illuminate the truth.”

The presentation went on to state that “race privilege gives whites little reason to pay a lot of attention to African Americans or to how white privilege affects them. To be white in America means not having to think about it.”

Army spokesperson Captain Lindsay Roman told USA Today that the block of instruction was not authorized by the US Army.

“The unit (Equal Opportunity) instructor deviated from the authorized topic and content which was provided,” Roman said. “To prevent further instances, all unit instructors will receive additional training on the importance of following Army EO training requirements.”

The slide appears to have been adapted from work by Allan Johnson, a sociologist and author, according to Wayne Hall, an Army spokesman. Johnson, in an email, said the concept is consistent with his work. Although he noted that part of the quote should be attributed to author James Baldwin.

http://asmdss.com/wtf/soldiers-forced-to-sit-through-white-privilege-training-during-equal-opportunity-brief
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see an issue.
But as always, I know that some do take issue with it
quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see an issue with diversity training. Understanding other cultures and experiences goes a long way in conflict resolution situations. But it's not surprising that some people freak out about it, probably the ones who most need it too.
LGAll65
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:24 PM
Yup

Quoting quickbooksworm: I don't see an issue with diversity training. Understanding other cultures and experiences goes a long way in conflict resolution situations. But it's not surprising that some people freak out about it, probably the ones who most need it too.
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish that we had more comprehensive EO and diversity training when I was in the military.  I can't tell you how many times I heard language from my fellow Airman that was used to purposely demean people who were minorities.  I even had an instance where an individual who was lower ranking than me looked right at me and said that he would not listen to "some woman".  Granted, I put on my command voice and chewed his ass out while we walked to the NCOIC (non commissioned officer in charge) office to talk about how he felt.  I blame a lot of the sentiment that was held for minorities in my work place squarely on the fact that our yearly EO training was treated as any other yearly training, pass the test and get back to work.  It was more of a joke and a burden than actually learning anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)