Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Church decides to CANCEL EASTER for whole city rather than pray with gays

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

he organisers of an entire city’s Easter celebrations have decided to call them off, rather than allow LGBT people to participate.

The Easter Sunrise Service organiser and Stockton, California’s Police Chaplain Jim Reid, mistakenly invited an LGBT-inclusive church to attend the citywide Easter celebrations.

Reid later rescinded his invitation to Reverend Terri Miller, after realising that the Valley Ministries, which she leads, because it is LGBT-affirming.

Valley

Reverend Terri Miller had planned to attend with her wife

His reason for taking back the invitation to the 17th annual event? “We are diametrically different in our view of scripture when it comes to homosexuality.”

Reid was then placed on leave by the Stockton Police Department, and was later sacked.

After the head of the Stockton Leadership Foundation re-invited Miller and her wife, unexpectedly, the organisation cancelled the entire event.

Apparently because the Easter service’s “transforming message will be overshadowed as a result of the well-publicised clergy invitations.”

Reid, who remains on the board of the organisation, said to the Stockton Record that if Valley Ministries were allowed to take part, it would lead to “a media frenzy”.

“I felt it would defeat the purpose of having it,” Reid said. “I didn’t think it would bring glory and honour to God. I was in favour of canceling.”

Understandably Miller said she was “very sad” that the decision had been made to cancel the event.

Jim Reid

“It’s just disheartening to me that here these folks claim to be Christians … and are squandering this opportunity because of some perceived differences instead of uniting under the banner of what this day is supposed to mean,” said Miller.

“This is based on fear and not on grace and love,” Miller told Fox Channel 40.

“It’d be great if we could have truly a citywide Easter service. Where when you use the label citywide, it should mean everybody.”

A police lieutenant in Stockton was last year placed on leave for writing a letter calling same-sex marriage “blatant debauchery”.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/10/church-decides-to-cancel-easter-for-whole-city-rather-than-pray-with-gays/?utm_source=ET&utm_medium=ETFB&utm_campaign=portal&utm_content=inf_17_60_2&tse_id=INF_b7124403446c4cc480a04a71330d1d3a

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
athorne
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 7:56 PM
Why would anyone deny somebody the right to celebrate such a major holiday like Easter? Particularly a church. The main part of the Easter holiday for anybody who is of the Christian faith knows that they celebrate Christ's resurrection.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Why I have I never heard of one church shunning another church for endorsing greed?

Jesus spoke out greed many times.   He never once mentioned homosexuality.

There are churches out there that disagree over the very nature of the trinity.   There are Catholics, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.   Do they agree perfectly on all points of doctrine with mainstream churches?  No.  Yet do they get shunned from city-wide events?

Whether or not you believe it is theologically acceptable to be a Christian church and simultaneously accept homosexual behaviour in your congregation, this is quite clearly a blatant example of treating homosexuality in a way that no other sin is treated.

It is cloaking personal prejudice in a pretence of religious righteousness.

The result is ugly.

FlowerGirl1234
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

this article isn't clear. how can a church cancel a city's celebration? a police chaplain that priveleges some churches over others?? what was the city's easter celebration? i don't understand what is going on here. i wish journalists did facts more than red meat emotion grabbing stories. 

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM
This is pathetic.

Rev Miller & her church should take over the city wide Easter Sunrise Service!
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM
I love this reply.

Quoting Clairwil:

Why I have I never heard of one church shunning another church for endorsing greed?

There are churches out there that disagree over the very nature of the trinity.   There are Catholics, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.   Do they agree perfectly on all points of doctrine with mainstream churches?  No.  Yet do they get shunned from city-wide events?

Whether or not you believe it is theologically acceptable to be a Christian church and simultaneously accept homosexual behaviour in your congregation, this is quite clearly a blatant example of treating homosexuality in a way that no other sin is treated.

The result is ugly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Yes and it's true virtually every time a church or church leader speaks out against homosexuality.

Quoting coolmommy2x: I love this reply.

Quoting Clairwil:

The result is ugly.

MyMyOhMy
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Ah, she was going to bring her wife to easter service.

Jesus accepts her, but a bunch of fundy ministers rather cancel easter.

How pathetic.

gdiamante
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Easter will still happen with or without the sunrise service. The headline is a bit exaggerated. Individual churches can (and will) have their own celebrations.

KittyMom1026
by Scorpio on Mar. 13, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Where are all of the homophobes in this group praising this decision?

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 2:09 PM
N&P and the Basement, fighting over who are better Christians, lol! 😂

Quoting KittyMom1026:

Where are all of the homophobes in this group praising this decision?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)