Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fluff: how many here watch the show Cops

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM
  • 19 Replies
And sometimes feel sorry for the criminal?

I was watching last night with DH. Some of the guys are obviously guilty. Others I honestly feel bad for. Those are the ones who are usually drug abusers Or who have a mental illness. I feel bad for those guys because most of the time law enforcement has no idea how to properly handle them. They just haul them off to jail. I feel bad for those guys because this is how our criminal justice system works and it only makes matters worse.
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seasal
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM
That show has been on forever. I watch but don't feel bad for the mentally ill / drug addicted if they've done something wrong like steal or hurt someone. Hopefully they'll get help down the road from the court system (ha! am I being too optomistic? )

I do feel bad for some of the women and kids who seem stuck in a bad situation .
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM
They do something wrong because they are not in their right mind to make the right decision. Jail isn't going to help them with that.

Quoting Seasal: That show has been on forever. I watch but don't feel bad for the mentally ill / drug addicted if they've done something wrong like steal or hurt someone. Hopefully they'll get help down the road from the court system (ha! am I being too optomistic? )

I do feel bad for some of the women and kids who seem stuck in a bad situation .
Seasal
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM
I have a close relative who's bipolar. Sometimes he gets super angry, screams, scares people. Got warnings from the police but continued til he was arrested. The threat of going to jail and losing everything makes him (with reminders) accept his problem, treat it and stop before its too late. He has a good support system, money and insurance though.

But you're right. Treatment for mental disorders would be better than jail. I don't know the answer, but mental health support is lacking for many. So the only option today is jail if they are out of control.
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
One of the episodes I watched was a man who told the cops that he has bipolar disorder. He started to calm down when another officer showed up to talk with him. The arresting officer however didn't stop interrupting and purposely aggravated the man. Next thing you know he gets tackled to the ground. He tried to calm himself down and even when sitting in the cop car requested to talk to the other officer. The arresting officer refused.
I think LE needs to be better educated on how to handle these situations so thy don't escalate them.

Quoting Seasal: I have a close relative who's bipolar. Sometimes he gets super angry, screams, scares people. Got warnings from the police but continued til he was arrested. The threat of going to jail and losing everything makes him (with reminders) accept his problem, treat it and stop before its too late. He has a good support system, money and insurance though.

But you're right. Treatment for mental disorders would be better than jail. I don't know the answer, but mental health support is lacking for many. So the only option today is jail if they are out of control.
LGAll65
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Only a couple of times. They were in Las Vegas. I was curious since we used to live in Vegas in the late 1970's.

i don't enjoy the show.

QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM
So police officers shouldnt arrest people who break the law? Serioulsy? I do think we should have help for people who are mentally ill, but most people who are mentally ill are not committing crimes. Just becuase someone is bipolar is really no reason to do drugs,drink and drive, steal, assualt someone.

I havent watched it in a long time, but generally when someone was arrested for drugs they were either buying them or were driving with drugs in the car.

Why am I not shocked that you watch that show and see the criminals as victims andthe officers as bad guys.
QueenBarbie
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM
What was he being arrested for?

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: One of the episodes I watched was a man who told the cops that he has bipolar disorder. He started to calm down when another officer showed up to talk with him. The arresting officer however didn't stop interrupting and purposely aggravated the man. Next thing you know he gets tackled to the ground. He tried to calm himself down and even when sitting in the cop car requested to talk to the other officer. The arresting officer refused.
I think LE needs to be better educated on how to handle these situations so thy don't escalate them.

Quoting Seasal: I have a close relative who's bipolar. Sometimes he gets super angry, screams, scares people. Got warnings from the police but continued til he was arrested. The threat of going to jail and losing everything makes him (with reminders) accept his problem, treat it and stop before its too late. He has a good support system, money and insurance though.

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Only when my husband and his friends are over. 

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you know that substance abuse and mental illness are usually comorbid?

Quoting QueenBarbie: So police officers shouldnt arrest people who break the law? Serioulsy? I do think we should have help for people who are mentally ill, but most people who are mentally ill are not committing crimes. Just becuase someone is bipolar is really no reason to do drugs,drink and drive, steal, assualt someone.

I havent watched it in a long time, but generally when someone was arrested for drugs they were either buying them or were driving with drugs in the car.

Why am I not shocked that you watch that show and see the criminals as victims andthe officers as bad guys.
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM
He became agitated and pulled out in front of a police officer. The officer said he almost caused an accident.

Quoting QueenBarbie: What was he being arrested for?

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: One of the episodes I watched was a man who told the cops that he has bipolar disorder. He started to calm down when another officer showed up to talk with him. The arresting officer however didn't stop interrupting and purposely aggravated the man. Next thing you know he gets tackled to the ground. He tried to calm himself down and even when sitting in the cop car requested to talk to the other officer. The arresting officer refused.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)