• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brussels attacks live updates: ‘At least 13 dead and 35 injured’ after three explosions around city

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:09 AM
  • 115 Replies
Here are the latest updates:

'At least 13 dead and 35 injured' after three explosions heard around the city
Two of the blasts hit Brussels Airport
Third explosion at Mallbeek Metro station
Reports of Arabic voices shouting and gunfire shortly before blasts at airport
Terror alert raised to highest level and Metro shut down entirely
Cause of the blasts unclear
Video shows people fleeing the terminal building
Are you in Brussels? Contact us on @independent to send us pictures and video or share your account of what happened

We will bring you the latest updates as we get them

Brussels has been on the highest level of terror alert since November's Paris attacks and has seen several operations in recent weeks linked to the hunt for Salah Abdeslam, who was caught on Friday.

Sky News Middle East correspondent Alex Rossi, who was at the airport en route for Tel Aviv, told the channel: "I could feel the buildings move”.

He added: “The word is definitely two explosions”

"The thinking here by everybody is that it is some kind of terrorist attack although that hasn't been verified by anyone here at the airport.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brussels-airport-explosion-live-updates-american-airlines-departure-desk-zaventem-latest-a6945391.html
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
broboxer
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:10 AM
Brussels Zaventem airport and metro explosions 'kill at least 13'

People fled Brussels airport after two explosions went off
Several explosions have struck Brussels airport and the metro system, causing at least 13 deaths, Belgian media say.

Two blasts tore through the departures area of Zaventem airport shortly after 08:00 local time (07:00 GMT).

An hour later, an explosion hit Maalbeek metro station, close to the EU institutions. The metro system and airport have both been closed.

The attacks come four days after Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the Paris attacks, was captured in Brussels.

The Belgian government has confirmed casualties at the airport but has given no numbers. The cause of the explosions is unknown.

The whole metro system has been closed. Belgium has now raised its terror threat to its highest level.

Brussels airport blasts - latest updates

Belgian broadcaster VRT said that in addition to the dead at the airport, at least 35 people were severely injured.

Emergency services are clearing the airport completely. Belgium's Het Laatste Nieuws reports that more bombs were found.

The Belga news agency reports that shots were fired and shouts in Arabic were heard before the two explosions.

Debris litters the floor of Brussels airport after two explosions hit the building
Damage at the departure lounge of Brussels airport
Images on social media showed panic as people fled the airport.

Rail transport to the airport has been halted and people have been told not to come.

All flights have been diverted.

Other reports say at least one of the explosions was close to the American Airlines check-in area but this has not been confirmed.

The Belgian broadcaster RTBF quoted a witness as saying there were people injured or unconscious in the departure area, opposite the Sheraton hotel.

Niels Caignau, a Swissport employee, told Flemish broadcaster VRT: "I was on a break and heard and felt a big explosion - we have from here a view over the departure hall and saw a plume of smoke come out.

"The windows are completely shattered. People went outside in shock. It doesn't look good."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35869254
JustCJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 5:52 AM

My husband posted a video a while ago, in it a Muslim was talking about Brussels and he said,  "we have a high birth rate, and we are patient".

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:27 AM
2 moms liked this
You can't protect yourself from crazy. You can't plan for crazy, take precautions against crazy, or anticipate when crazy is going to strike. This is the world we live in now.

Good luck to anyone going to, or currently in Europe. I'm being quite serious, you're going to need it. Luck is your only defense.
atlmom2
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:38 AM
We used to live in Italy and we would fly through Brussels a lot. This can happen anywhere, not just Europe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moniker
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:40 AM
Hmm, I wonder if Abdeslam is really worth his weight in gold. I read he was cooperating with authorities and giving information and he was worth his weight in gold. I wonder if he was giving false info or had no knowledge of this.
Healthystart30
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:07 AM
Quoting ReadWriteLuv: You can't protect yourself from crazy. You can't plan for crazy, take precautions against crazy, or anticipate when crazy is going to strike. This is the world we live in now.

Good luck to anyone going to, or currently in Europe. I'm being quite serious, you're going to need it. Luck is your only defense.

This is horrible! Makes me angry! So tired of asshole terrorists!

I still feel your reply is Way to dramatic. Europe isn't one country. Do you think there will be a terrorist attack in Andorra? Or faroe Islands? Bulgaria? I wouldn't go to Turkey but I would go just about anywhere else without batting an eye.

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM
His lawyer said he wasn't cooperating. We just don't know yet.

Quoting Moniker: Hmm, I wonder if Abdeslam is really worth his weight in gold. I read he was cooperating with authorities and giving information and he was worth his weight in gold. I wonder if he was giving false info or had no knowledge of this.
GloryDaze
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
In a recent interview, Tom Costello said "The Mullenbech neighborhood of Brussels has become a community that housed the Paris attackers and has become the center of this radical, Islamist activity".
Costello also, interestingly, said "Many Belgians say that over the last 25 years they have felt like they are losing their country. They have felt like because Belgium has such an open immigration policy over the last half century in which they have allowed almost anybody, especially from these areas that are now breeding terrorism, that they've allowed these people to come in as refugees and not many of them being thoroughly vetted, and they are given a rather generous social stipend to live off of, and many Belgians feel like they are now bearing the fruits of that policy where they are seeing this kind of terrorism now."
Meanwhile, here in America, Obama wants to allow refugees into the United States. I hope the current views of many Belians may make our political figures rethink that plan.
ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM
I think London, Paris, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Cannes, Stockholm, Rome, Athens, Madrid, or any other major city are under a constant terror threat to some degree, as are we here, anywhere in the US. I think some cities are under a greater threat than others. I'm not panicking, it doesn't make any sense to. As I stated, you can't prepare for it or guard against it. All you can do is go about your day and then react after it happens.

Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting ReadWriteLuv: You can't protect yourself from crazy. You can't plan for crazy, take precautions against crazy, or anticipate when crazy is going to strike. This is the world we live in now.

This is horrible! Makes me angry! So tired of asshole terrorists!

I still feel your reply is Way to dramatic. Europe isn't one country. Do you think there will be a terrorist attack in Andorra? Or faroe Islands? Bulgaria? I wouldn't go to Turkey but I would go just about anywhere else without batting an eye.

VooDooB
by corrupter on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

At least 26 dead.

I'm still catching up. Sick kid coughing all night long again.

Has anyone taken credit yet? Not like we don't already know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)