Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP PLEASE! Question for those with progressive bifocal glasses

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM
  • 48 Replies
OK, so I've officially entered old woman territory, as I am needing my first pair of glasses at age 42. Anyhoo, I have astigmatism in both eyes, but it's particularly bad in the left eye. I decided on progressive bifocals and just picked them up today. I am having an incredibly hard time with them. First of all, even when I looked through them out the bottom of the lens like they were saying, I still couldn't see the fine print on the notice she was asking me to read. Everything looks like it's in a damn fish tank, and is still quite blurry. They keep telling me this is how it is with progressives and it'll take my eyes time to get used to them, but both my son and my husband have progressive lenses, and neither of them say this happened to them. I am wondering if they screwed up my prescription.
For those of you who have progressives, did you have trouble adjusting at first? Do you think what I'm experiencing is normal, or is it more likely they messed up my prescription?
THX!
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
algorithmnation
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM

It did take some getting used to and learning how to use them effectively, but I could see better from day one. It does sound odd that your vision is still blurry. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM
my hubs got progressives recently and had the same trouble for about a week. now he loves them though. it took my mom a couple of weeks.
momof3inct1967
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM
I have astigmatism also- didn't have any trouble with progressives - they were fine from the beginning.
Do you wear contacts? If you do- my eye dr put me in dailies and adjusted the power so one is for reading and the other for distance.
I still wear my glasses sometimes for the astigmatism-when I'm not wearing contacts but I don't need reading glasses with the contacts anymore
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM

That's what I think. Even the girl at the eyeglass place seemed perplexed when no matter how I looked through them, I couldn't read the paper she wanted me to read.

Quoting algorithmnation:

It did take some getting used to and learning how to use them effectively, but I could see better from day one. It does sound odd that your vision is still blurry. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM
No, I don't wear contacts. These are actually my first pair of glasses ever. I can't see anything in these up close, no matter how I tilt my head. I really am thinking they screwed up my prescription. I've had several folks tell me now exactly what you just did - that they could see better almost immediately. Ugh. Pay $500 for a pair of glasses, you expect them to actually work. :(

Quoting momof3inct1967: I have astigmatism also- didn't have any trouble with progressives - they were fine from the beginning.
Do you wear contacts? If you do- my eye dr put me in dailies and adjusted the power so one is for reading and the other for distance.
I still wear my glasses sometimes for the astigmatism-when I'm not wearing contacts but I don't need reading glasses with the contacts anymore
momof3inct1967
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Yeah they messed them up! Hope they fix it or refund you!
Try Zenni optical - many friends have amazing success with them for little money !

Quoting cjsbmom: No, I don't wear contacts. These are actually my first pair of glasses ever. I can't see anything in these up close, no matter how I tilt my head. I really am thinking they screwed up my prescription. I've had several folks tell me now exactly what you just did - that they could see better almost immediately. Ugh. Pay $500 for a pair of glasses, you expect them to actually work. :(

Quoting momof3inct1967: I have astigmatism also- didn't have any trouble with progressives - they were fine from the beginning.
DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:49 PM

No, I did not. My first pair of glasses to wear all the time were no-line progressives though so it was supposedly an advantage. It sounds like they messed things up.

DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM

They should remake them for you at no charge. And keep doing it until they do it right.

Quoting cjsbmom: No, I don't wear contacts. These are actually my first pair of glasses ever. I can't see anything in these up close, no matter how I tilt my head. I really am thinking they screwed up my prescription. I've had several folks tell me now exactly what you just did - that they could see better almost immediately. Ugh. Pay $500 for a pair of glasses, you expect them to actually work. :(
Quoting momof3inct1967: I have astigmatism also- didn't have any trouble with progressives - they were fine from the beginning. Do you wear contacts? If you do- my eye dr put me in dailies and adjusted the power so one is for reading and the other for distance. I still wear my glasses sometimes for the astigmatism-when I'm not wearing contacts but I don't need reading glasses with the contacts anymore

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM

WellI have my first pair but I am 55.  I had a little bit of issues getting used to them, probably 3 days.  I read without my glasses.  I see better without them to read upclose. I have to have things far away to read them like arms length away.   I am on the computer and further away and I can read it fine not sitting right on top of the computer.  I read my computer though the middle probably.  I have astigmatism too.  It does take a few days to get used to them.  Give it time.  Can you read without your glasses better than with them?  

Debmomto2teens
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM

I have had progressives for a few years. It does take time to adjust. However, I find that after awhile it doesn't work well...I still take my glassess off to read.  I think overall they help, but I seem to need a stronger prescription for the bottom half more frequently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)