Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prince Harry just perfectly shut down mental health stigma

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM
  • 0 Replies
1 mom liked this

Prince Harry just perfectly shut down mental health stigma

He's a woke royal, for sure.

Rae Paoletta

Rae Paoletta

Don't let Prince Harry's rejection of his family's J.Crew approved, wholesome aesthetic fool you — he's probably the most woke royal, as evidenced by his recent remarks on mental health stigma. 

The 31-year-old prince has been serving in the army for the last decade. Now, he's focusing his attention on the physical, mental and emotional well-being of his fellow veterans.

"All [my military service] has done over those 10 years is given me this amazing amount of knowledge and experience, where I am now perfectly positioned to be their voice and champion their cause," he told "Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts.

Prince Harry of Wales told Roberts that it's not just the physical wounds he's concerned with — he's also very invested in vets' mental and emotional health.

"The stigma surrounding it is a massive issue," Prince Harry said. "I want to re-emphasize the point to people that [mental illness] is not a ticking time bomb."

For too many veterans, leaving the battlefield is just the beginning of a war they fight within themselves — sometimes, it lasts forever. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, "Nearly 1 in 4 active duty members showed signs of a mental health condition." Many struggle withPost Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and more. 

Thankfully, people like Prince Harry are taking a stand to fight the stigma that silences many people from seeking help they need.

"The simplest of things — just talking about [mental illness] — makes all the difference," he said.

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)