Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To check or not to check....

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM
KK
  • 46 Replies
I'm at the dentist's office and a dad and his teen daughter come into the waiting room. The dad asks the daughter for the pin to her phone and starts to go through it. The daughter starts to have a very quiet freak out trying to distract her dad from looking through her phone.

Should dad be looking through it or is it a violation of her privacy?

Dad says he is doing it right then to prevent hef from wiping her phone.

They were sitting get in the chairs directly across from me, it was impossible not to overhear.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM
He must have a reason to not trust his daughter and it seems she has something to hide. If I thought DD was hiding something from me then damn skippy I would have her give me her phone and pin.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

In my opinion, there is a time and a place for Dad to go through his daughter's phone, since clearly he felt there was a need to do so.

My daughter has privacy......up until the time I feel I need to know what is going on.  I will absolutely go through her phone without warning to prevent her from deleting or otherwise.  It has only happened once.

She has a passcode of her phone to prevent others from getting in to her phone.  I have that passcode.  If she changes it and does not let me know, she knows the consequences.

I would not have done this in public like that.

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I check my son's phone occasionally. He's underage, I pay for it, and I don't want to be one of those parents who get side swiped by kids on drugs, having sex, being suicidal, etc. I wouldn't do it in public, though. That's kind of shitty of him.
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM
Mom was coming to pick her up and walked in furious, so it's clear something happened.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

In my opinion, there is a time and a place for Dad to go through his daughter's phone, since clearly he felt there was a need to do so.

My daughter has privacy......up until the time I feel I need to know what is going on.  I will absolutely go through her phone without warning to prevent her from deleting or otherwise.  It has only happened once.

She has a passcode of her phone to prevent others from getting in to her phone.  I have that passcode.  If she changes it and does not let me know, she knows the consequences.

squeekers
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe the father took the opportunity right there to do so because the girl couldn't overreact or flee from her location before he could check the phone. If i had done something my mother disaproved of, she'd hunt me down to the ends of the world to catch me.
LGAll65
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM
That sounds bad . Her dad must be suspicious but it seems like the wrong thing to do --

But in my opinion teens need to be more careful . if I were the daughter , there would be nothing to hide .There should never be anything on cell phones that would cause embarrassment or trouble .
This dad seems to think his daughter has a few things to hide from him . I don't know what to say except --
Invasion of privacy is a pretty accurate description .
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM
I checked my oldest son's phone. He knew that was going to happen and was a condition of the privilege. You would think knowing that would make them more careful...it didn't.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans: Mom was coming to pick her up and walked in furious, so it's clear something happened.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Oh wow.

Yes, it sounds as if that girl has been up to something she shouldn't have been.

It it warrants mom showing up, she better hold on. 

NYmama96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM
I check my kids accounts and phones periodically. If we are sitting in the waiting room what a perfect chance to ensure they aren't up to no good.

I refuse to not know what my children are up to and none of them care if we check because they know they aren't doing anything wrong.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Quoting LGAll65: That sounds bad . Her dad must be suspicious but it seems like the wrong thing to do -- But in my opinion teens need to be more careful . if I were the daughter , there would be nothing to hide .There should never be anything on cell phones that would cause embarrassment or trouble . This dad seems to think his daughter has a few things to hide from him . I don't know what to say except -- Invasion of privacy is a pretty accurate description .

Dad invaded his daughter's privacy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)