Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No charges against police officers in Jamar Clark shooting death

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM
  • 37 Replies

No charges against police officers in Jamar Clark shooting death

Clark, 24, a black man, was shot in the head during a scuffle with two white Minneapolis police officers on Nov. 15. 

No charges will be filed against the two Minneapolis officers involved in the shooting death last fall of Jamar Clark, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Wednesday.

Freeman disclosed his decision in a downtown Minneapolis news conference two weeks after bypassing the more common option of letting a grand jury make a charging determination.

Freeman brought with him to the highly anticipated announcement evidence from the investigation into Clark’s death on a North Side street as well as video that law enforcement collected from the scene that night.

Freeman said the evidence supports the officers' account of the confrontation, in which they said Clark grabbed one of their guns and that he was not handcuffed at the time he was shot.

Freeman said one of the officers recounted saying to his partner: "He's got my gun. He's got my gun."

DNA evidence and the autopsy findings support the officer's explanation that they had tried but failed to handcuff Clark before the shooting, Freeman said.

According to Freeman, citing the evidence presented to him:

Officers told Clark to put his hands in his pockets and he wouldn’t. Officer Mark Ringgenberg put his gun back in the holster and grabbed Clark’s right wrist. Officer Dustin Schwarze grabbed Clark’s other arm and dropped the handcuffs while trying to cuff him. Ringgenberg then tried a takedown move and they both fell to the ground and Ringgenberg’s back was to Clark’s stomach. Ringgenberg felt his gun go from his hip to the small of his back. Ringgenberg reached back and felt Clark’s hand on his gun. He repeatedly told Schwarze: “He’s got my gun, he’s got my gun.’

Schwarze put his gun to edge of Clark’s mouth and said “Let go or I’m going to shoot you.”
Schwarze said Clark looked at him and said “I’m ready to die.”

Schwarze pulled the trigger once, but the slide caught. He pulled the trigger again and the gun went off, 61 seconds after the intitial encounter began.

Additional medics arrived and placed Clark on a stretcher.

Plans for two gatherings in response to Freeman’s decision have been announced. A rally organized by Justice4Jamar, is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. at Plymouth and James Avenues N., near where Clark was shot. The groups Black Lives Matter Minneapolis and Justice4Jamar announced on Facebook a gathering at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Elliot Park, just south of downtown Minneapolis.

Clark, 24, a black man, was shot in the head during a scuffle with two white Minneapolis police officers on Nov. 15. The shooting led to international attention, widespread local protests, and an 18-day encampment outside the police department’s Fourth Precinct in north Minneapolis, near the site of the shooting.

Activists have not only been protesting Clark’s shooting but also the withholding of video that law enforcement has collected from the scene that night.

The police union has said Clark had his hand on one of the officers’ guns when he was shot. Activists say that that’s not true and that Clark was handcuffed at the time.

Police had been called on a report that Clark assaulted his girlfriend and blocked paramedics from trying to treat her on the street in the 1600 block of Plymouth Avenue N. Clark died the next day.

The officers, Ringgenberg, 30, and Schwarze, 29, were placed on administrative leave but returned to police desk jobs in January. Both officers have more than seven years of policing experience, including the past 17 months with Minneapolis. Neither has had any disciplinary actions since they joined the Minneapolis force, according to the police union.

Schwarze, while a Richfield police officer, is accused in a still-pending lawsuit to have deployed a Taser on the passenger of a vehicle pulled over by officers in December 2011. He also is accused of threatening to beat the tased victim and a second passenger if they got out of the vehicle.

While Ringgenberg was a San Diego police officer, he was sued in federal court in 2012 for alleged rough treatment of a suspect resisting arrest. The suit was dismissed.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigated the Jamar Clark case and turned over its findings to Freeman in February. Earlier this month, Freeman reversed decades of precedent when he announced that he would not use a grand jury in police-involved shootings, including to determine whether charges should be levied against the officers in the Clark case.

Activists who had long pushed Freeman’s office not to use a grand jury in the Clark shooting praised the decision.

“I am overjoyed that in this instance Mike Freeman decided to do the right thing,” said Nekima Levy-Pounds, president of the Minneapolis NAACP. “Mike Freeman is fully aware that the grand jury process has been ineffective here and nationally in holding officers accountable. I believe sustained community pressure played a huge role in Mike Freeman’s decision.”

http://www.startribune.com/county-attorney-decision-on-jamar-clark-shooting-set-for-10-30-a-m-today/373979481/#1

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Social media is blowing up with outrage and plans to protest riot bake a cake hug puppies feed the poor whatever the hell it is they're planning.

VooDooB
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:18 PM

It seems that the officers story is solid.  You can't really argue with video.

VooDooB
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:22 PM

You'd think. 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

( You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them. )

You are done here. 

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:24 PM

People will believe what they want to.  Thankfully our justice system, for the most part, goes by proven fact.  

BTW, I looked at your link and couldn't find the video they mentioned in the article, that shows the scuffle between Clark and the officers.  Do you know which one it is?

Quoting VooDooB:

You'd think. 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

VooDooB
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM

I don't believe that one has been released yet.

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

People will believe what they want to.  Thankfully our justice system, for the most part, goes by proven fact.  

BTW, I looked at your link and couldn't find the video they mentioned in the article, that shows the scuffle between Clark and the officers.  Do you know which one it is?

Quoting VooDooB:

You'd think. 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

( You make people leave CM. You drive them away. There is a meaness and coldness in you that pushes people away and makes them cancel their CM accounts. I know a few of them. )

You are done here. 

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Oh, ok.  I saw the cell phone video with people screaming and yelling.  I dont' understand that.  Half the time those people don't know what happened but they make drama out of it as soon as they see something they don't like happen in their neighborhood.  

Quoting VooDooB:

I don't believe that one has been released yet.

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

Quoting VooDooB:

You'd think. 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

VooDooB
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Many of you have heard of Attorney General Mike Freeman’s decision this morning to not indict officers Mike Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarz in the murder of Jamar Clark. SURJ will release a full statement in the near future, however for the immediate future we ask that you consider donating now to the movement for Black lives today.

Black Lives Matter Minneapolis requested we raise funds to support protest backpacks and a healing space during the event tonight when community members will come together at 6pm at Elliot Park in downtown Minneapolis. Protest backpacks would be filled with medic kits, mace relief kits, and other materials. The healing space would support bodyworkers and healers to do their work in the streets.

Two white police officers walk away free from consequences and accountability of the law today while Jamar Clark will never have the chance for a fair trial. If you are able to donate please click here; any amount is helpful. See you in the streets tonight.

In solidarity, 
SURJ MN

‪#‎Justice4Jamar‬
‪#‎EndWhiteSupremacy‬

nononenever
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM
Not every police shooting is unjustified. Even if that does upset the family (and I would be devastated) and protesters.
VooDooB
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM

The organizing begins.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1044066135667268/?active_tab=posts

Wasn't this dude beating the snot out of a girl and that's why the police chase started in the first place?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)