Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Ridiculousness of Bathroom Laws

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:21 AM
  • 207 Replies
2 moms liked this

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pdxmum
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
The stupidity of these laws amaze me.
D-Town
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:47 AM

I kind of laughed at the bouncer standing outside the bathrooms checking ID's. LOL 

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:30 AM
11 moms liked this

I thought of something that happened years ago. DD9 was about 3 and at the potty training stage where she didn't wear pullups. We had gone to the apple orchard and my (now) 21 yr old was with us with one of his friends. DD had to go bad and the line for the women's room was a mile long. No line for the men's room. So DS went to the mens room, made sure no one was in there then proceeded to take DD in so she could go. The next thing you know, here comes all these other moms with their little girls asking him to stand outside and watch so their little girls could go. He must have stood there for a good 10-15 minutes so these little girls could use the mens room. A guy would walk up to use it and he would just say "Hey do you mind waiting a min or two. My sister had to go really bad." And they would see the line for the women's room and had no problem with it. 

So apparently the wrong gender using the bathroom is only a problem if you don't like the person using it. 

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:12 AM
3 moms liked this
You bring up a good point. If I had a nickel for every time I saw a female use the men's restroom because the line was too long...

But yes, it seems to acceptable, whether it's a little girl like in your case or at a bar, it's OK. Throw a transgender into the mix and OMG, the sky is falling. How DARE they use the wrong bathroom!

Quoting D-Town:

I thought of something that happened years ago. DD9 was about 3 and at the potty training stage where she didn't wear pullups. We had gone to the apple orchard and my (now) 21 yr old was with us with one of his friends. DD had to go bad and the line for the women's room was a mile long. No line for the men's room. So DS went to the mens room, made sure no one was in there then proceeded to take DD in so she could go. The next thing you know, here comes all these other moms with their little girls asking him to stand outside and watch so their little girls could go. He must have stood there for a good 10-15 minutes so these little girls could use the mens room. A guy would walk up to use it and he would just say "Hey do you mind waiting a min or two. My sister had to go really bad." And they would see the line for the women's room and had no problem with it. 

So apparently the wrong gender using the bathroom is only a problem if you don't like the person using it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sundance8
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:19 AM
2 moms liked this
True. I never had issues bringing my son into the bathroom with me when he was too young to go in and he men's room by himself. I see other women bringing sons too, never bothers me or anyone else as far as I can tell.

But a lot of people flip if it's a transgender person.

Quoting D-Town:

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Not just that but my son was 16 at the time (maybe 15). Women were asking him, a male stranger, to watch their daughters in the bathroom.

Quoting coolmommy2x: You bring up a good point. If I had a nickel for every time I saw a female use the men's restroom because the line was too long...

But yes, it seems to acceptable, whether it's a little girl like in your case or at a bar, it's OK. Throw a transgender into the mix and OMG, the sky is falling. How DARE they use the wrong bathroom!

Quoting D-Town:

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:22 AM
4 moms liked this

That was a good video, it illustrates this nonsense really well.

These are such stupid, small-minded laws. The trans people are far more likely to be the victims of assault than assault others. I don't doubt there are perverts out there (non-trans people) but to truly honestly think that they would spend all the time and effort dressing up like a woman just to sneak a peek in a public bathroom is ridiculous. And quite frankly, if somebody wanted to assault somebody in a bathrooom they are just going to do it. There's no record of transgenders assaulting anybody. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm waiting for laws to tell me how to pee. Of course that's after the bathroom monitors check my paperwork and my lady bits.
msb64
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Actually if a man wanted to assault women in a public restroom, he wouldn't even need to dress like a woman.  He could just claim to have a vagina.

Quoting jessilin0113:

That was a good video, it illustrates this nonsense really well.

These are such stupid, small-minded laws. The trans people are far more likely to be the victims of assault than assault others. I don't doubt there are perverts out there (non-trans people) but to truly honestly think that they would spend all the time and effort dressing up like a woman just to sneak a peek in a public bathroom is ridiculous. And quite frankly, if somebody wanted to assault somebody in a bathrooom they are just going to do it. There's no record of transgenders assaulting anybody. 

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't do that cause it's creepy. I'm sorry, I don't trust my DD alone with any stranger, male or female, especially in a restroom.

Quoting D-Town: Not just that but my son was 16 at the time (maybe 15). Women were asking him, a male stranger, to watch their daughters in the bathroom.

Quoting coolmommy2x: You bring up a good point. If I had a nickel for every time I saw a female use the men's restroom because the line was too long...

Quoting D-Town:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)