Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sanders Invited to Visit the Vatican

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:45 AM
  • 13 Replies
Sanders to visit Vatican City days before NY primary
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/08/politics/bernie-sanders-vatican-city-trip/index.html

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sundance8
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:52 AM
(CNN)Bernie Sanders' campaign announced Friday that the Vermont senator will visit Vatican City on April 15 -- just four days before the crucial New York primary.

Sanders was invited to attend a conference hosted by the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences "on social, economic, and environmental issues," according to a release from the Sanders campaign.

The trip abroad means that Sanders will be off the campaign trail in New York for a period of time before the state's hotly contested April 19 primary against Hillary Clinton. Sanders has been hoping to upset Clinton in her home state and his absence from the campaign trail in the final week of the battle for New York comes as a surprise.
The Democratic presidential candidate's appearance at the conference will coincide with the 25th anniversary of the "Centesimus Annus," an encyclical from Pope John Paul II that addresses workers' rights and other economic and social issues that are similar to those Sanders has stressed in his White House bid.
"I am delighted to have been invited by the Vatican to a meeting on restoring social justice and environmental sustainability to the world economy," Sanders said in the release.
"Pope Francis has made clear that we must overcome 'the globalization of indifference' in order to reduce economic inequalities, stop financial corruption and protect the natural environment. That is our challenge in the United States and in the world."
Sanders did not say if he would be meeting with Pope Francis in his release.
The Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences also marked the upcoming trip in a statement, writing, "We're delighted to host this conference to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Centesimus Annus, bringing together world leaders, including U.S. Senator Sanders."
Sanders' visit to the Vatican was announced the same day that Pope Francis released a sweeping paper urging Catholic priests around the world to be more accepting of gay men and lesbians, divorced Catholics, and other people living in what the church considers "irregular" situations."
In the letter, the pope urges more common sense and less unthinking following of rules -- what he calls "discernment" -- and writes, "by thinking that everything is black and white, we sometimes close off the way of grace and growth."
Sundance8
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM
I'm curious if any if the other candidates were invited or just Bernie? He seems to be the only one attending so far.
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM
Well Sanders also spoke at Liberty University; and like this visit, I'm not sure what good this visit will do for both parties.
elvir2babes
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

A few months back, I recall the Pope speaking well about Bernie, after the Pope heard about Bernie's views with not wanting to build a wall for the border at Mexico.  The Pope had also been told Trump's wanting to build a wall.

The Pope gave comments on saying that someone who wants to build a wall is not a good christian, also saying that someone whom did not want to build a wall is a good christian.

So the Pope was very fond of what he was told about Bernie, and Yes Bernie is the only candidate invited.

Quoting Sundance8: I'm curious if any if the other candidates were invited or just Bernie? He seems to be the only one attending so far.

Sundance8
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I think he's smart to accept. Will it help him win votes? Time will tell, but he may hope it will. Plus, who wouldn't want to go to the Vatican and hear the Pope in person? It's a chance of a lifetime.

This does nothing to take votes from him, it may help, and really, it's a great experience.

I'm not sure I'm voting for Bernie by any means, but I do admire what he has achieved.
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Was he invited or did he request an invite? 

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-08/sanders-accused-of-discourtesy-in-seeking-vatican-invitation

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:58 AM
You know Sanders is an atheist Jew, right?

Quoting elvir2babes:

A few months back, I recall the Pope speaking well about Bernie, after the Pope heard about Bernie's views with not wanting to build a wall for the border at Mexico.  The Pope had also been told Trump's wanting to build a wall.

The Pope gave comments on saying that someone who wants to build a wall is not a good christian, also saying that someone whom did not want to build a wall is a good christian.

So the Pope was very fond of what he was told about Bernie, and Yes Bernie is the only candidate invited.

Quoting Sundance8: I'm curious if any if the other candidates were invited or just Bernie? He seems to be the only one attending so far.

Sundance8
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 7:41 AM
If You read through this, he received an invite from Bishop Sanchez Sorondo dated March 30, but he breached protocol with Archer, who felt he should have approached her first.

I don't know how invitations are usually issued for these things or how big of a gaffe this was.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Was he invited or did he request an invite? 

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-08/sanders-accused-of-discourtesy-in-seeking-vatican-invitation

Sundance8
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 7:42 AM
I don't think that matters so much to this current Pope, though he did not invite Sanders to attend this event, a Bishop invited him.

Quoting Bookwormy: You know Sanders is an atheist Jew, right?
Quoting elvir2babes:

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, tho it was this sentence to which I was responding, "...also saying that someone whom did not want to build a wall is a good christian." I don't think the Pope said that half of the sentence.

I like Sanders. But I don't lie for him.

Quoting Sundance8: I don't think that matters so much to this current Pope, though he did not invite Sanders to attend this event, a Bishop invited him.

Quoting Bookwormy: You know Sanders is an atheist Jew, right?
Quoting elvir2babes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)