Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Mother’s Day gift: paid maternity leave

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Best Mother’s Day gift: paid maternity leave

Businesses win when offering parental leave

Employers step up to keep their new mothers engaged

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cindy-krischer-goodman/article74750732.html#storylink=cpy
by on May. 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MistyMoo
by Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM
I couldn't imagine having to go back to work that soon after having a baby. I have a hard time going back after my year long maternity leave!
nononenever
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad the article said parental leave - many couples split their parental leave here as it becomes more and more common for fathers to take time off to bond as well.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Quoting nononenever: I'm glad the article said parental leave - many couples split their parental leave here as it becomes more and more common for fathers to take time off to bond as well.

only 17% of employers offer parental leave.  The biggest margin only offer maternity leave.

Ours is parental leave 6 mths paid and 6 mths unpaid....mandatory for all employers.

Some employers will offer part time for an additional 2 years.

It also includes adoptive parents of newborns.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on May. 8, 2016 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this
America's maternity and parental leave is abysmal.
ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on May. 8, 2016 at 7:44 PM
As of May 1st my employer just reduced the number of PTO, (paid time off), days you can earn, doesn't let you use sick leave for pregnancy related emergencies or post-birth until you deplete your entire PTO balance first, and no longer gives any kind discount after insurance for out of pocket expenses for employees. Services are at cost, just like the general public.

I work in a large major metropolitan hospital.

Men can take paternity leave if they want to use their PTO, AND if they can get their shifts covered, but they can only take 10 days max per the employee handbook.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:00 PM
I had to use disability, which paid 60% of my income, & FMLA, for maternity leave. I was advised to only use 10/12 FMLA weeks so as not to be fired in case I needed more time later in the calendar year. I was placed on bed rest prior to giving birth, so I only had 6/10 weeks of maternity leave, and that was not enough to be sane. I was the only therapist on staff with children, so when they had a layoff, even though I wasn't the newest hire, I was still the one laid off with a 4mo and a SAHM/DW at home. I had been there 5 years and still got treated like shit. And we worked with children, tweens, & families. What a family friendly environment, not! 😡
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)