Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Teacher Ever?

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

Teacher Sets Her Students The Funnest Homework Assignments Ever

Watch TV, see friends, read books and eat ice cream!

05/08/2016 07:26 am ET | Updated 6 hours ago
  • Lee Moran Trends Editor, The Huffington Post

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Jenny Thom, a teacher of 10 and 11-year-olds at Bucklebury Church of England Primary School near Reading, England, totally gets that.

So to take her students’ minds off upcoming tests, she gave them the funnest homework assignments ever, according to TES.

In a letter, she urged them to spend the weekend eating ice cream, reading books, watching TV, seeing friends, cooking and playing outside.

Most importantly, they shouldn’t be studying.

A photograph of her note has been shared on Facebook and is now going viral.

To help calm the children’s nerves, Thom — who’s been widely praised for her approach to the exams — did allow a little bit of study time.

“If you feel you have to, you may revise, BUT you can only do this for a maximum of one hour total,” she wrote, adding, “Mrs Thom is in charge of worrying — you don’t need to.”

Best teacher ever?

by on May. 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 8, 2016 at 7:14 PM

nope....nice teacher maybe ...but not the best one ever.

Ive never been a fan of homework.....but just before one of the biggest exams to be taken in your schooling life???

Nerves for this exam will not be calmed a couple of days prior....they make the kids who were never going to get good scores feel better about it. JMO

EDITED: re read the article and realised she is talking about 10 and 11yos....yeah totally different. 

Dont have an opinion about tests for 10 and 11 yos....other things to worry about :-)  Plus think its weird to have a kid that age be nervous over a test.

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this
My DD's teacher sent home a note rolled up in ribbon on Friday with each student. They are taking their first STAAR tests tomorrow & Tuesday. They are in 3rd grade. It told them that the test graders don't know them like she & their parents do & the tests only test a very narrow amount of knowledge. They don't know that they speak two languages, dance, play an instrument, sing, blush when meeting someone new, play soccer, etc. She mentioned a unique quality about each student. She went on to say that each one had brought great joy into her life this year & she is very proud of each of them.

Very touching letter.
PamR
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2016 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

She does sound like a great teacher!

Quoting Bookwormy: My DD's teacher sent home a note rolled up in ribbon on Friday with each student. They are taking their first STAAR tests tomorrow & Tuesday. They are in 3rd grade. It told them that the test graders don't know them like she & their parents do & the tests only test a very narrow amount of knowledge. They don't know that they speak two languages, dance, play an instrument, sing, blush when meeting someone new, play soccer, etc. She mentioned a unique quality about each student. She went on to say that each one had brought great joy into her life this year & she is very proud of each of them. Very touching letter.

LGAll65
by on May. 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

nope....nice teacher maybe ...but not the best one ever.

Ive never been a fan of homework.....but just before one of the biggest exams to be taken in your schooling life???

Nerves for this exam will not be calmed a couple of days prior....they make the kids who were never going to get good scores feel better about it. JMO

EDITED: re read the article and realised she is talking about 10 and 11yos....yeah totally different. 

Dont have an opinion about tests for 10 and 11 yos....other things to worry about :-)  Plus think its weird to have a kid that age be nervous over a test.

Kids do get nervous in grade school.

I always worried about tests , even in Kindergarten. I remember that I told my Gramma I was scared to go to my first day of kindergarten because they might have a test and I  wouldn't know how to pass it. LOL. She promised that there would be no test. ( she was a teacher before she retired)

( I have been a worrier my whole life)

Yup--my friends in grade school worried a lot too. Overachievers, I guess.

This is a cool teacher!

LGAll65
by on May. 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bookwormy: My DD's teacher sent home a note rolled up in ribbon on Friday with each student. They are taking their first STAAR tests tomorrow & Tuesday. They are in 3rd grade. It told them that the test graders don't know them like she & their parents do & the tests only test a very narrow amount of knowledge. They don't know that they speak two languages, dance, play an instrument, sing, blush when meeting someone new, play soccer, etc. She mentioned a unique quality about each student. She went on to say that each one had brought great joy into her life this year & she is very proud of each of them. Very touching letter.

How nice! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)