Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is the most beautiful girl in the world?

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM
  • 71 Replies

Florence Colgate has the kind of beauty many women are prepared to pay a lot of money for. The kind of beauty that artists, scientists, and mathematicians have struggled for centuries to figure out. Florence Colgate has a perfectly symmetrical face, with large eyes, full lips and high cheekbones.

Florence hails from a British seaside town, studied at the Dover Grammar School and worked a job at the Middle Street Fish Bar. In 2012, she won a natural beauty competition sponsored by Lorraine Cosmetics. The competition based its results on a proportional beauty theory. As it turns out, Florence’s face is not only naturally beautiful, but science considers her face “near-perfect.” As a result, she emerged from complete obscurity and into internet stardom.

Researchers who have studied attractiveness say that on a perfect face, the distance between pupils is 46% of the width of the face from ear to ear; Florence’s is 44%. The distance between the eyes and mouth should be a third of the length of the face; Florence’s is 32.8%. This reminds me of the young Russian model Kristina Pimenova, who is considered by many as the most beautiful girl in the world

It may be surprising to some, but Florence is a humble, down-to-earth person. She attributes her beauty to her confidence and inner happiness. But really, is beauty defined by science, or society? 

by on May. 8, 2016 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msb64
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this

It reminds me of the ancient Greek ideal of beauty and the measurements for artwork depicting Greek godesses.  Colgate is a beautiful woman but thankfully, we have also started to appreciate differences and uniqueness as beautiful.

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
She does seem like that all American girl next door fantasy. Though her roots appear darker than the rest of her hair & match her eyebrows so I'm guessing she colors. I'd love to see her with her natural hair color. I might like her better. She might seem more human, you know?
algorithmnation
by on May. 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM
3 moms liked this

IMO, beauty is so broad and varied; it would be impossible to determine specific features as "most beautiful". 

AllofFive19
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
She's pretty, but not all that.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2016 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BluesPagan2.0:

But really, is beauty defined by science, or society? 

Beauty is more than the sum of its parts.

Science can say that, on average, a particular eye width to face width ratio scores higher approval.

But it doesn't say what the holistic effect is of a particular eye ratio, when combined with a particular mouth ratio, etc.

And, of course, there's a large factor of physical beauty that isn't captured by still images, but is only perceived when the body is animate and interacting.

For example, think of Liza Minnelli in Cabaret.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL, that is what I was thinking.

Quoting AllofFive19: She's pretty, but not all that.
MyMyOhMy
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:05 PM

So I may be bucking trends here but she seems a bit generic. Same with the little girl linked in the article.

On the other hand I like that she doesn't look anorexic. I find most models don't really look like women any more. :(

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on May. 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM

I think that they shoot for the androgynous/boy look with models on purpose.  

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

So I may be bucking trends here but she seems a bit generic. Same with the little girl linked in the article.

On the other hand I like that she doesn't look anorexic. I find most models don't really look like women any more. :(

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:09 PM
She's pretty. But I've seen prettier.

Beauty is as subjective as taste and music though. I can this someone is drop dead gorgeous and you think she's fugly.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM
It's like the Kritios Boy, the Early Classical Greek sculpture that is thought to be one of the earliest perfectly proportioned and symmetrical human sculptures in the classical tradition....immediately following it came idealized forms that exaggerated features for effect. Perfection is beautiful but a bit boring. The brain seems to prefer the more idealized forms.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)