Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does revealing clothing equal lack of self respect?

Posted by on May. 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
Not trying to call anybody out, but I've seen this comment quite a bit lately, especially with regards to dress code issues. I don't see why it's necessary to make that assumption about people. Ideas? Thoughts?
by on May. 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupomeow
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 12:54 PM

I think it is because revealing clothing seems to get notice more since more skin is showing. A woman wearing a tank top with her boobs hanging out will likely get noticed more than one wearing a t-shirt. It could be positive or negative attention. It is attention either way. Some people with esteem issues, feel that they are not valued enough or paid enough attention. Some feel one way to get that attention is to dress in a way that will get attention, often that means revealing clothes.

WritingTXMama
by on May. 30, 2016 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Clothing that falls out of the norm on either side of the spectrum makes the person look out of place Whether you are covered head to foot or in cutoffs that whow your but cheeks, you are calling attention to yourself.

Age-appropriate clothing is also important. So it situational-appropriate clothing. Don't wear a bikin to church -- or to the beach if you're 300 pounds. 

Some women look like are working way too hard to catch a man, including revealing clothing. 

Never wear any clothing in public that you don't want seen on television! Then you'll be appropriately dressed. 

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't necessarily equal a lack of self-respect. If someone only feels that they can get recognition for their body, that may be indicative of a problem. If someone isn't ashamed of their body even in our shaming culture, that may be indicative of possessing self-respect.
LGAll65
by on May. 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM
I prefer to get attention or recognition for my mind and my heart than for my boobs or my legs or my butt . That's why I don't put my boobs and butt on display . They're attractive but looks are not as important as your mind.
JanetteA
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I think most people subconsciously assume that women  wearing revealing clothing are desperate to catch a  man.  As in, no man would be interested in her for her mind or her talents, so she has to show off her body.

Now "revealing clothing" varies greatly from culture to culture.  A Saudi woman showing her socks in public might end up in jail, while European women at the beach sunbathe topless and no one thinks anything of it.

meriana
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Actually I don't think about it as an esteem issue at all.  The first thought that pops into my mind is that they want attention, and/or they think they look great even though a lot of the time they look like they belong someplace other than where they are.  With younger girls it usually has more to do with attention and keeping up with the latest in fashion trends. (well what they think of as fashionable anyway)  I have seen some girls/women dressed in a way, that although they were covered for the most part there was no guessing about what they had, the size of what they had and where it was, which is nearly as bad as really revealing clothing since it actually hides nothing other than skin.

Growing up sis and I were told that leaving a little to the imagination is never a bad thing. It's a bit sad that the "if you've got it, flaunt it" attitude seems to have taken over.

D-Town
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2016 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I've always thought the opposite to be true. 

Wearing revealing or clothing that is different from what the rest of the crowd wears draws attention. People who wear things to draw attention usually have a lot more self esteem and self confidence than those who just go with the crowd and don't want to be noticed. 

MissAndree
by Ronita on May. 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM
10 moms liked this

It doesn't, but we have internalized the misogynistic message that female bodies are shameful, distracting, tempting, etc etc. We have also bought in to the Madonna/Whore dichotomy.

Women engage in slut shaming as a way to make themselves feel superior to other women, which is more internalized misogyny. 

The reality is that there is no such thing as a slut, it is a made up concept to shame women for having sexual autonomy and or for expressing any aspect of thier sexuality. 

Lady_Facetious
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM
This.

Quoting MissAndree:

It doesn't, but we have internalized the misogynistic message that female bodies are shameful, distracting, tempting, etc etc. We have also bought in to the Madonna/Whore dichotomy.

Women engage in slut shaming as a way to make themselves feel superior to other women, which is more internalized misogyny. 

The reality is that there is no such thing as a slut, it is a made up concept to shame women for having sexual autonomy and or for expressing any aspect of thier sexuality. 

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2016 at 2:58 PM
Well said

Quoting MissAndree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)