Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Our Problem....Right?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM
  • 32 Replies

This picture of a wounded Syrian boy captures just a fragment of the horrors of Aleppo   

Five-year-old Syrian boy Omran Daqneesh being carried away by a paramedic after suffering injuries from a blast© AMC Via Youtube.com Five-year-old Syrian boy Omran Daqneesh being carried away by a paramedic after suffering injuries from a blast

Warning: This article contains graphic images

Omran Daqneesh’s bare feet barely reach the edge of the chair as he sits alone in the back of the ambulance.

The five-year-old’s eyes are glassy with shock and he seems hardly aware of the blood seeping from a wound in his forehead.

The little Syrian boy was one of five children injured by a Russian or Assad regime strike in the Qaterji neighbourhood of Aleppo.

His photograph, which was shared thousands of times on social media, captures just a fragment of the horrors of Aleppo as it endures wave after wave of punishing airstrikes.

Omran was injured in a blast Wednesday evening along with four other children, one woman and two young men, according to an Aleppo doctor who asked not to be identified.

Video footage shot by the Aleppo Media Center shows rescuers pulling him from the rubble of a house and sitting him in the back of an ambulance. He does not cry but eventually raises a small hand to his injuries.

Omran was taken to the M10 hospital, which has itself been struck repeatedly by airstrikes.

Physicians there treated his head injury and cleaned off the dust that caked his hair, eyes, and clothes. He was released later that night.

Doctors at M10 said that around 12 other children all under the age of 15 were treated on Wednesday.

More than 300,000 Syrians are estimated to have been killed in the country’s civil war and it is impossible to know how many civilians have died in airstrikes in Aleppo in recent weeks.

While the city has been under bombardment for years, the attacks have stepped up since a combined force of rebels and jihadists earlier this month broke a regime siege that cut off part of the city for a month.

Russian and Syrian regime aircraft responded with intensified bombing as they try to close a narrow corridor opened up between besieged east Aleppo and the rest of the city.

Tomorrow there will, no doubt, be more strikes and more children like Omran will be hurt.

Warning: This video contains graphic images

Update page 3:  Older brother, age 10, dies from his injuries

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:13 AM
Poor little dude.
idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:20 AM
6 moms liked this

Obviously in shock while people are snapping pictures. 

It is hard for the average American to understand the horrors of war, of not being safe in the place you call "home".

Hundreds of thousands dead, most of them civilians.  Just like every other war it is ALWAYS the innocents who suffer the most.

Quoting joyfree: Poor little dude.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:54 PM

We've pretty much made it our problem, sending weapons, etc. to help.  First we invaded Irag, then to "help" the citizens of Libya we intervened there. We can't forget Afganistan in all this mess either.  Isis and groups like it, or affiliated with it are all over the world. Sounds like Trump would just like to wipe them all out and then there's Hillary who's answer to problems in other parts of the world tend to involve regime change. It's scary, no one wins with either of them. If Hillary follows through on her idea of a "safe area" in or near Syria, or worse yet, her desire to depose Assad, we could well find ourselves in conflict with Russia. Then there's Boko Haram in Nigeria. I have a horrible feeling it will eventually end in world war.

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

The potential, maybe even probability for WWIII is there because we always repeat the same mistakes. 

But when I see shit like this, when I see a shell shocked wounded tiny human, other people yelling, scrambling, trying to rescue others, everyone dealing with unimaginable horror.....all I see are human beings.

We are all connected.  Every damn act of violence affects all of us, whether we choose to ignore it, excuse it or dehumanize fellow victims....we are all affected. I don't give a shit as to the why, this has been going on since the beginning of our species.....the effect is the same.

I know there isn't a damn thing we can do.....until we all decide to do it. I'm just so sick of people forgetting our humanity.

Quoting meriana:

We've pretty much made it our problem, sending weapons, etc. to help.  First we invaded Irag, then to "help" the citizens of Libya we intervened there. We can't forget Afganistan in all this mess either.  Isis and groups like it, or affiliated with it are all over the world. Sounds like Trump would just like to wipe them all out and then there's Hillary who's answer to problems in other parts of the world tend to involve regime change. It's scary, no one wins with either of them. If Hillary follows through on her idea of a "safe area" in or near Syria, or worse yet, her desire to depose Assad, we could well find ourselves in conflict with Russia. Then there's Boko Haram in Nigeria. I have a horrible feeling it will eventually end in world war.

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this
When are you headed over there on a mission?
KaleaLani
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:49 PM
The CNN anchorwoman could barely get through the segment - she was so choked up. I had tears in my eyes when I saw it for the first time.
GunPowderLead29
by on Aug. 19, 2016 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this
You see that adorable little face, all bloody and in shock? Combine that with your other post and you're looking at where these boys start.

(You're is general :)
GunPowderLead29
by on Aug. 19, 2016 at 9:31 AM
You in Louisiana yet?

Quoting tanyainmizzou: When are you headed over there on a mission?
tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 19, 2016 at 9:52 AM
Tonight actually.

A group of Aggies living here are meeting up with a group of SE Louisiana Aggies there to bring a van and truck filled with pet supplies, toys, and school supplies.

Then we turn around and come right back.

Quoting GunPowderLead29: You in Louisiana yet?
Quoting tanyainmizzou: When are you headed over there on a mission?
owl0210
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM
That photo brought me to tears.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)