Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What About The Idea Of Maximum Wage?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM
  • 20 Replies

Not exactly a follower of Jesse Ventura...however, this makes sense to me.  I have been saying something similar for years.

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

In one way I do agree that anyone working 40 hours/week should make 'living wages'. However.....what is that? Most people THINK they need alot more things than they actually need. 

But if you own a business....you are really responsible for the success of that business, and I don't think there should be a cap on what a business owner should make. (on the flip of that, if you don't like the way a business is run/or how they handle their money....don't work there)

RaverLady
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:49 PM

"Jobs" are mainly make work at this point, or soon.  We should let the robots get on with it and focus on uplifting the human condition.

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell no.

The government has no business determining what a private company can pay.

That is just even more class warfare and envy.

msb64
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:04 PM

I don't know about a "maximum wage" but I do strongly believe that anyone who works 40 hours a week, no matter what their employment, should earn a living wage.  I also like a business model that includes employee profit sharing and employee stock ownership.  Chobani comes to mind.

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you that the things people think are "essential" these days often aren't.

To my mind....food, shelter, clothing, water, electricity, heating fuel if applicable and some way to communicate with the world.  Not sure what more we require beyond that.

I don't think the maximum wage is applicable to your average business owner.   However, when tax payers are forced to subsidize full time employees for example while executive pay is through the roof, there is something wrong.

Also, when companies are publically owned and shareholders are consistently getting screwed while executives make outrageous salaries that are not tied to actual performance (laying off a shit ton of people for example so quarterly profits look great does not count as "good performance") AND there are cozy company board arrangements that benefit very few and certainly not the shareholders or the employees that make it all possible, something is wrong.

Quoting EireLass:

In one way I do agree that anyone working 40 hours/week should make 'living wages'. However.....what is that? Most people THINK they need alot more things than they actually need. 

But if you own a business....you are really responsible for the success of that business, and I don't think there should be a cap on what a business owner should make. (on the flip of that, if you don't like the way a business is run/or how they handle their money....don't work there)

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Ratio in 1980 used to be something like 44:1.  Now, its hundreds of times more.

Envy has nothing to do with it...how odd that you think it does because YOUR tax dollars are, in many ways subsidizing outragous compensation packages.

Also, the focus on short term quarterly profits as opposed to long term corporate growth screws everyone over except those who directly profit from this, including shareholders.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Hell no.

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting idunno1234:

I know. Doesn't change what I think the role of the government is. The less the government is in our lives, the better.

Envy has nothing to do with it...how odd that you think it does because YOUR tax dollars are, in many ways subsidizing outragous compensation packages.

Of course it is. They make so much more than me and they don't work hard. *STAMP FOOT* This isn't fair.

Also, the focus on short term quarterly profits as opposed to long term corporate growth screws everyone over except those who directly profit from this, including shareholders.

Then people should not buy items from places that do that.

This is not the role of the government in this country no matter how much of a nanny state you want.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Hell no.

Hopnpop
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:34 PM

I agree. I have nothing against rich people, but I do have problems with where my tax money goes and the gross injustices related to that. Instead of big companies trickling down more of their profits to workers, the execs get higher compensation packages, tax breaks and loopholes, and golden parachutes. Meanwhile, the workers making it possible struggle to pay for daycare, health insurance, and so on.. And in cases, need public assistance to do that. Which comes back to taxes wihich comes out of that persons paycheck and everyone else's. It's an endless loop that keeps the middle and lower classes stuck. 

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Hell no.

idunno1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:50 PM

This has not been a "forever" problem....it is a problem that has come into existence the last few decades.

The eye towards short term profit benefits very few, potentially harms a lot.  Executive pay is often not tied to actual performance.

So...not only are employees screwed with taxpayers having to foot the bill when full time pay doesn't cover basic essentials, taxpayers are screwed yet again when we are doling out 100 billion dollars worth of corporate welfare and even more disturbing, shareholders have increasingly gotten the shaft.

Add to that the fact that you have more people with less purchasing power (how much can someone earning 8-10 figures possibly spend?) and it screws our economy as well.

I understand what you are saying regarding having the government's nose in corporate affairs but if one tax dime is going towards a business, then it is beholden to more than corporate executives.  Don't want government's hand in your shit, then stop using tax dollars to subsidize.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting idunno1234:

I know. Doesn't change what I think the role of the government is. The less the government is in our lives, the better.

Of course it is. They make so much more than me and they don't work hard. *STAMP FOOT* This isn't fair.

Then people should buy items from places that do that.

This is not the role of the government in this country no matter how much of a nanny state you want.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Hell no.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

We need less government involvement. Not more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)