Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Price of EpiPens soar hundreds of dollars

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM
  • 99 Replies
The price of an EpiPen, which contains medication that reverses the effects of an allergic reaction, has dramatically increased.

The cost used to be a little more than $100 a few years ago. Now it costs more than $600 at local pharmacies.

"(It's a) major, major crisis in the allergy world," said Dr. Paul Rabinowitz, a certified allergist. "You can die. You eat food, you don't have an EpiPen and you can die."

Doctors and patients say Mylan, the pharmaceutical company that makes EpiPens, is taking advantage of its monopoly on the allergy medicine market.

"They can get away with jacking up prices for consumers and causing a major medical crisis," Rabinowitz said.

"With changes in the health care insurance landscape, an increasing number of people and families are enrolled in high-deductible health plans. This shift, along with other insurance landscape changes, has presented new challenges for consumers and they are bearing more of the cost," he told WSB-TV.

Mylan said that it provides coupons for its customers.

But pharmacists say even with coupons, some patients still cannot afford this life-saving medication.

For example, even though the coupon offers a $0 copay, pharmacists say that is rarely the case and although patients get $100 off, they still end up having to pay around $500.

"It's a major problem because patients are not (refilling) and cannot refill prescriptions,” Rabinowitz said.

Mylan said that half of the schools in the U.S. have participated in its "EpiPen for Schools" initiative.

The company said that it has given more than 650,000 EpiPens to schools nationwide.

© 2016 Cox Media Group.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/trending-now/price-of-epipens-soar-hundreds-of-dollars/425938224
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBieg
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM

I don't understand this; they don't have a monopoly. There are other brands, like the Auvi Q.  The Epi-pen brand name has become synonymous with the product...like Kleenex or Bandaid.  But there ARE other autoinjectors out there.

Don't text and drive.  

LoveAll3306
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:41 PM
I just recently got my epipen prescription refilled. It was $285 for two and I thought that was high! I can't believe it's going up more! I did use the coupon and they took off $100, thankfully!
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Time to offer some financial incentive to other drug makers to make the epipen and WAY fckin past time to pass legislation to regulate the drug companies and what profit margin they can gouge from us.  This would be illegal in the utilities market because monoplies in utilities ARE REGULATED.

In the meantime you can order the drug from canadian pharmacies and then submit the paperwork to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM
I believe all insurance companies pay for Epi pens. I have to have an Epi pen to get my allergy shots. I paid 50 bucks for it back in December thanks to my insurance and the coupon the company provided.

There are two companies that make Epi pens, I know because my allergist told me that if one wasn't covered or was too expensive to let him know and he would change the script to the cheaper one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:14 PM
The coupon makes 3 two packs 100% free for us. But we must have really decent insurance.

We switched to Auvi-q until the recall. I don't know if it is back or not, but I refuse to use it after the recall, even tho teachers prefer it.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:23 PM

They are $4..00 for 2 if you are low income and $35.00 for 2 if you arent.

I dont understand why it is allowable for pharmecutical companies to price hike so badly.

MikeysMom22
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I work at a school and it might be easier to use if needed, but as  a parent, I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to use something that has been recalled. Especially, since you are  not sure if it has been corrected and up and ready to use again. It's used in an emergency situation already, you don't want to use something that may cause another problem that caused the recall. 

Quoting Bookwormy: The coupon makes 3 two packs 100% free for us. But we must have really decent insurance. We switched to Auvi-q until the recall. I don't know if it is back or not, but I refuse to use it after the recall, even tho teachers prefer it.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Capitalism.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:47 PM
Exactly! They were underdosed! No freaking way would I risk too little epinephrine if my child is having anaphylaxis.

I'm not a nurse and I managed to save my DD's life with an Epipen. Anyone can do it.

Quoting MikeysMom22:

I work at a school and it might be easier to use if needed, but as  a parent, I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to use something that has been recalled. Especially, since you are  not sure if it has been corrected and up and ready to use again. It's used in an emergency situation already, you don't want to use something that may cause another problem that caused the recall. 

Quoting Bookwormy: The coupon makes 3 two packs 100% free for us. But we must have really decent insurance.

We switched to Auvi-q until the recall. I don't know if it is back or not, but I refuse to use it after the recall, even tho teachers prefer it.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:50 PM
This is sad. My son has food allergies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)