Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What You're Prejudiced Against Depends on How Smart You Are

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

What You're Prejudiced Against Depends on How Smart You Are

Stephanie Booth
Stephanie Booth

hate written out on keyboard

You're forgiven for thinking that hatred, prejudice, and racism all start online, on social media channels and comments sections of websites. But new research shows that these negative emotions have a more insidious source. Uh, it's your IQ.

Before we dive it, let's all admit that there's a stereotype that people who are hate-mongering are just not that smart. And past research has kinda sorta fleshed that out.

But a new study published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science suggests that prejudice is a little more nuanced than that. People who are super-smart discriminate just as much as those who are a few IQ eggs short of a dozen. The difference is what they're prejudiced against.

The breakdown?

People with lower cognitive abilities tend to hate on liberal groups or groups that are defined by their race, gender, or sexual orientation. The LGBTQ community, for instance. Or ethnic groups.

Groups like these are classified by the study's researchers as "low choice" groups, meaning people don't really have a say as to whether they want to be in them or not. They just are.

For people who scored damn well on IQ tests, the opposite was true. They turned up their noses at conventional or conservative groups.

More from CafeMom: The 7 People Who Hate Your Kids

Groups like these are considered "high choice," meaning people can leave and get a different outlook anytime. And smartypants-peeps get irked by them because shouldn't they do that already?

Whew. That's a lot of hatred roiling around out there. But don't be tempted to use this research as a litmus test of who must have a high IQ and who doesn't, based on the demographic they grouse about. A better use of time would be to ask: Why such different prejudices?

"People dislike people who are different from them," the study's researchers explained to Broadly.

Sticking to people who share our same worldview can make us feel a little more comfy and in control of our life. True, it's an illusion, but hey, it's a crazy world out there. We take what we can get.

More from CafeMom: 17 Moms Explain Who They'll Be Voting for in This Presidential Election

But just because you disdain -- or despise -- a certain group of people doesn't mean you need to live and die with this mantle of hate. Research shows that you CAN successfully fight against your own feelings of prejudice.

What works? Traveling somewhere that challenges your worldview, be it another country or another neighborhood across town. Making a friend with someone in a group you're wary of. Acknowledging the differences you have with people -- then trying to find similarities. Hell, you can even take a class about prejudice and get all intellectual about it.

Whatever you do, do something. Because don't we owe it to the people we DO love to try? 

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msb64
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Oh my!

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Bump for later - a few years ago I came across research that explains this, but I'll need to dig it out.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Bump for later - a few years ago I came across research that explains this, but I'll need to dig it out.

"Systems of Survival", by Jane Jacobs.  (LINK)

She describe "Guardians" who value what people are and represent.

And "Idealists" who value what people have done and can do.

GunPowderLead29
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Bump!

msb64
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder if someone is a "Guardian" if they see all those attributes as strengths and conversely if you are a "Commerce" you see the list as strengths?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Clairwil:

"Systems of Survival", by Jane Jacobs.  (LINK)

She describe "Guardians" who value what people are and represent.

And "Idealists" who value what people have done and can do.

LGAll65
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

This is interesting and makes sense.

I like the advice to go somewhere new , associate with people who are not like you. I think the biggest problem people have is remaining in the same environment their whole lives and always socializing with people who are just like they are in every way.

That makes it too easy for them to discriminate against people who are different  because they don't understand them and it frightens them.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:48 PM
3 moms liked this
Like people down south and that own guns frighten you?? And you discriminate against them.

Quoting LGAll65:

I like the advice to go somewhere new , associate with people who are not like you. I think the biggest problem people have is remaining in the same environment their whole lives and always socializing with people who are just like they are in every way.

That makes it too easy for them to discriminate against people who are different  because they don't understand them and it frightens them.

LGAll65
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I think you have lost your friggin' mind.

Quoting billsfan1104: Like people down south and that own guns frighten you?? And you discriminate against them.
Quoting LGAll65:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I've moved 17 times in 24 years...the only people I hate are those grocery baggers who won't stop talking long enough to bag my shit so I can get the hell outta there.

Seracake
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM
11 moms liked this

I think I would pass out if I opened just one thread with you chiming in on the actual post and not going guns blazing attacking someone.

Quoting billsfan1104: Like people down south and that own guns frighten you?? And you discriminate against them.
Quoting LGAll65:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)