Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Singer denied entry to sing National Anthem due to wearing "We Matter" jersey

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM
  • 12 Replies
It’s uncertain how long San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick will continue to kneel during the national anthem to protest police brutality and social injustice. But it’s clear he’s started a movement that will be a constant presence at sporting events across the country for the foreseeable future.

The latest anthem controversy happened in Philadelphia Wednesday, right before the 76ers tipped off their season-opener against the Oklahoma City Thunder. Singer Sevyn Streeter was slated to perform the Star-Bangled Banner, but says the organization didn’t allow her to step onto the court, because of her “We Matter” jersey. A team dancer performed the song instead.

Streeter says she’s “extremely angry” about the incident. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

“I’d say two minutes before we were about to walk out … the organization told me that I could not wear my shirt while singing the national anthem at their game,” she said, via ESPN. “I was never given any kind of dress code. I was never asked beforehand to show my wardrobe.”

The 76ers released a statement about the episode, but didn’t address the R&B singer’s claims. “The Philadelphia 76ers organization encourages meaningful actions to drive social change,” it reads. “We use our games to bring people together, to build trust and to strengthen our communities. As we move from symbolic gestures to action, we will continue to leverage our platform to positively impact our community.”

This is the second time in less than one week the 76ers have been at the center of an anthem controversy. Last Saturday, singer Denasia Lawrence took a knee while she was performing the Star-Spangled Banner. A similar scene unfolded earlier this month in Sacramento, where Leah Tysse also kneed in the middle of the song prior to a Kings preseason game.

While a number of athletes –– including NFL players –– have followed Kaepernick’s lead, all eyes will be on the NBA this season. Many of the league’s most prominent stars, such as LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, have been vocal about the issues of police brutality and gun violence. James and Anthony performed a monologue at the ESPYS in July along with Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul urging athletes to stand up for social change.

But how the NBA responds to any potential demonstrations remains to be seen. In September, the NBA Players’ Association and commissioner Adam Silver issued a letter in which they pledge to find a way to create “meaningful change” in NBA cities. Last week, Silver said he hopes all players stand for the national anthem this season.

Throughout his brief tenure as NBA commissioner, Silver has been commended for fostering an environment that encourages players to take social stands. But now, he and the league’s 30 owners are faced with a choice: allow players and performers to freely express themselves, or risk potentially alienating a percentage of their customer base.

According to a Rasmussen Poll, nearly one-third of Americans say they’re less likely to watch the NFL due to the anthem protests. Given Rasmussen’s right-leaning tilt, those results shouldn’t be taken as gospel. But NFL ratings have suffered mightily this season, lending credence to the notion that the political demonstrations have turned some fans off.

Sports and politics have always intersected, but these are highly polarized times. Leagues and organizations will be forced to make a choice between allowing these protests to continue unchecked or protecting their bottom line. If Streeter is telling the truth, it seems as if the 76ers have already decided.
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
For a song that they are so against, why sing it?? Because they want their 15 minutes of fame. They are not interested in social change. They want to pretend they care. But then sing the song.
couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM
She is famous.
No need for 15 minutes more.
Lol

She's not "against the song". Lol

Quoting billsfan1104: For a song that they are so against, why sing it?? Because they want their 15 minutes of fame. They are not interested in social change. They want to pretend they care. But then sing the song.
Tal0n
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Oh that's some bullshit, there.

SkippyDo
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM

LOL.  Hysterical!  

msb64
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

"Shut up and sing"

MyMyOhMy
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Is it a good time to mention how stupid profesional sports are?

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:30 PM
Lol yes
Great time

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

Is it a good time to mention how stupid profesional sports are?

SuG4
by brown sugar on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:41 PM
Ohhh Lord.........
EarlGrayHot
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Look-that guy kneeling is dumb-kneeling has always been a sign of respect and not of protest.  The kneeling makes no sense if they want to convey disagreement. 

SuG4
by brown sugar on Oct. 27, 2016 at 2:59 PM
That's what I thought too. If he was in church and knelt while praying or singing he would be considered "holy".
Smh

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Look-that guy kneeling is dumb-kneeling has always been a sign of respect and not of protest.  The kneeling makes no sense if they want to convey disagreement. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)