Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wear a small pin to send a big message....

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:37 PM
  • 213 Replies
9 moms liked this

People Are Wearing Small Safety Pins To Send A Giant Message

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 1.26.53 PM

If you see someone wearing a safety pin it means ‘you’re safe with me’

If you see someone wearing a safety pin today it means you are safe with me.

The safety pin is being worn as a symbol of solidarity with those groups of people living in this country right now that may be be fearful and afraid following the election results. The safety pin movement was inspired by tolerant Britons who wore it after the Brexit vote when immigrants and minority groups came under attack. Those who wear it are basically saying they don’t stand for, accept, or ignore xenophobic or discrimination-fueled violence. Several Americans adopted the symbol and are proudly displaying their safety pins on social media.

Look at this powerful Instagram post, it says in part, “…without a word, people may see your safety pin and know that you’re a friendly face, that they are ‘safe’ with you.”

“You are safe with me.”

“If you see anyone being mistreated, either in the streets or online, be there for them.”

“Stay safe out there folks.”

If you’ve been watching the news, you know there has been a rash of hate crimes in the immediate hours and days since Donald Trump emerged as victor and president-elect. As CNN reports, racist graffiti that says stuff like ‘Whites Only’ and ‘White America’ has been painted on various doors and buildings around the country. A video of middle school students chanting in a school lunchroom, ‘Build the wall!’ has surfaced and Muslim American women are becoming targets of violence. No matter who you are, it’s unnerving and frankly, really scary. Here’s your wake up call though – it’s downright terrifying for the most vulnerable groups of people like minorities, women, and anyone that is LGBTQ.

The xenophobic, Islamophobic, and racist rhetoric Trump used while campaigning has absolutely emboldened many of his hate-fueled supporters. Racism, sexism, xenophobia and Islmophobia has existed for a long time, even before Trump announced his candidacy. It has become glaringly obvious though, that these divisive feelings have escalated in direct proportion to his rising candidacy and now, presidency.

I, like many Americans, don’t want anyone to think I am apart of anything remotely racist or discriminatory. I don’t want anyone to see my white skin and assume that I would ever blindly or overtly support racism. As I walk down the street, drive my car, or shop at the grocery store in my diverse city of Atlanta, Georgia, I want people to know, unequivocally, that I didn’t do this. That I fought with every resource I had, with all of my time, and my heart to make sure a person that expressed racist views was not elected.

By wearing the safety pin, we can show people that we are here for them. We are not done yet. We may need a moment to heal, but we’re not done standing for equality, for civility, and for love.

The safety pin, a symbol of solidarity, is a simple first step.

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM
Cool
lenashark
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this

It's a great idea, I hope that people actually take it seriously and live up to their word. Today my cousin saw a college age guy wearing a pin on the train (NYC), a man started harassing a Muslim woman and the guy did nothing, he awkwardly covered his pin with his jacket and acted like he didn't see what was going on. My cousin did tell the man to leave the woman alone or he was calling the cops. I've seen people putting the pins on their little kids and posting it on facebook, like three year olds who aren't going to understand or stand up for someone in public. I know plenty of people will follow through, I know I will, but I fear that it will become the next livestrong bracelet, a trend people do because they want to seem cool, but they don't plan on actually living up to the cause.

VooDooB
by The Corruptor on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:58 PM
4 moms liked this
So many victims. So few safe spaces.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:44 PM
4 moms liked this
Sounds like a great idea. Very touching as well.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm doing it.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I will be participating in this. Our small community has seen some scary stuff this week. Scary for us.
Kwitcherbetchen
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 12:00 AM
5 moms liked this
I'm gonna take up a collection of bubble wrap and earplugs for the sensitive.
AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 2:31 AM
3 moms liked this
Im going to start a fund to send you back to your homeland. You people would be better served in a place where you can be safe

Quoting Kwitcherbetchen: I'm gonna take up a collection of bubble wrap and earplugs for the sensitive.
squeekers
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 2:37 AM
4 moms liked this

bluefirewolf
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2016 at 2:40 AM
8 moms liked this

VooDoo what the hell, I am agreeing with you on a lot of shit !!  anyway I told my family that I would take in a Muslim family and hide them - if it came to that - I'm good on my word.  If I see anyone in my travels hitting, spitting, or trying to take women's religious clothing off, I'm gonna go after them  That goes for any minority out there, if I see it, or hear it, I'm gonna intervene I'm a 60 year old fat woman and I don't give a shit if I look ridiculous, if I trip, or get hurt - better to defend and protect than live like a coward and let these people saunter away without repercussions

Quoting VooDooB: So many victims. So few safe spaces.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)