Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this offensive?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:49 PM
  • 255 Replies
1 mom liked this
My beloved city has lost its mind. My husband is a county worker in Seattle. Workers got a memo they are no longer allowed to use the phrase "brown bag". I thought he was joking, the guys in his union are always making jokes. This is PC on crack. I can not wait to vote these nutcases out of office. What's your opinion? Is saying brown bag racist?
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissAndree
by Ronita on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM
7 moms liked this

That happened back in 2013, you better get right on voting the people responsible for it, out. 

Lol. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:54 PM

can you post a picture of the memo, with the identifying information removed?  

I'm skepitcal since the term is used on various county websites.  Although, this is not completely out of the realm of possibility as the issue came up three years ago.  

http://mynorthwest.com/26883/brown-bag-and-citizen-too-offensive-for-use-in-seattle/

Susan1360
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously? Wow
ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:02 PM
11 moms liked this

You live in one of the most liberal microcosms of the country. You will never be able to vote "those nutcases" out of office. 

MissAndree
by Ronita on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:02 PM
5 moms liked this

Oh, and considering the racist history of the brown bag test, I see no problem with calling it a sack lunch instead. That is what it is, after all. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2013/07/31/political-correctness-brown-bag-citizens-are-out/

Public affairs officers at Seattle city agencies were advised in a recent memo that use of the phrases “brown bag” and “citizens” are potentially offensive, and that the words must be chosen.

“Luckily, we’ve got options,” Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in a missive entitled “On ‘brown bags, ‘citizens’ and language”.

“For ‘brown bag,’ try ‘lunch-and-learn’ or ‘sack lunch,'” wrote Bronstein. “For ‘citizens,’ how about ‘residents?’ (Our Citizens Service Bureau became the Customer Service Bureau a few years ago.)  Just thought I’d bring this up.  Language matters, and the city has entrusted us with the keyboards.”

What could be the offense of using “brown bag” or “citizens,” especially having witness Mayor Mike McGinn’s special pleasure at the swearing in of new U.S. citizens at the Seattle Center on Independence Day.

“This issue came up in one of the departments and I thought I’d send it around as an fyi for your consideration.  We often use the expression ‘brown bag’ to designate a bring-your-own lunch time event.  We also use the word ‘citizens’ as a synonym for ‘residents.’

“Innocuous phrases, right?  Mm, not so much for. For some people, the phrase ‘brown bag’ calls up ugly associations with use of the expression ‘brown bag’ to determine if people’s skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event, a home, etc.

“‘Citizens’ is a different case:  We sometimes use it as another way of saying ‘members of the public’ — except for all the members of the public who aren’t actually citizens but who live and work here.”

Asked on Wednesday how the issue of ‘”brown bag” and “citizens” came up, Bronstein answered:  “Boy, I don’t remember who raised it.  It has come up now and again in the past.”

“The term ‘brown bag’ doesn’t bother everybody, but . . . there is a history behind use of it,” he added.  “It is something easy to correct because there are alternatives.”

In Bronstein’s view, there are “a lot of normal terms once used as ‘normal’ that are not used so much any more.”  He cited, as example, the term “gyp” as a synonym for an attempt to cheat someone.  “I never realized until recently that it was shorthand for ‘gypsy’.”

City government has rightfully embraced all those who live within boundaries of the Emerald City.  Indeed, the Mayor’s office has lately explored with King County the possibility of finding a way to give  “permanent residents” the right to vote in local and municipal elections.

Language DOES matter — witness the recent excesses of Rush Limbaugh and various Fox News hosts — but isn’t the Office for Civil Rights trolling the far parameters of political correctness?  With McGinn’s new emphasis on social justice as a prerequisite to right-of-way decisions, can businesses locating here expect to be asked to adopt the nomenclature of “Residents” rather than “Citizens”?

MrsHMS
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM
It's on the Web page so clearly someone missed the memo so they had to send out a reminder. Also they can't say citizen.

So you are going with brown bag us racist?

Quoting MissAndree:

Oh, and considering the racist history of the brown bag test, I see no problem with calling it a sack lunch instead. That is what it is, after all. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this

It's interesting to note that the county's foreign born residents has grown by 64% since 2000.  The county looking to insure language is used to be inclusive of those residents seems reasonable when you consider that they represent a pretty substantial portion of the population.  

Debmomto2teens
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:16 PM
4 moms liked this
Thanks for posting that. I did not know the term "brown bag" had any history behind it.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2013/07/31/political-correctness-brown-bag-citizens-are-out/

Public affairs officers at Seattle city agencies were advised in a recent memo that use of the phrases “brown bag” and “citizens” are potentially offensive, and that the words must be chosen.

“Luckily, we’ve got options,” Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in a missive entitled “On ‘brown bags, ‘citizens’ and language”.

“For ‘brown bag,’ try ‘lunch-and-learn’ or ‘sack lunch,'” wrote Bronstein. “For ‘citizens,’ how about ‘residents?’ (Our Citizens Service Bureau became the Customer Service Bureau a few years ago.)  Just thought I’d bring this up.  Language matters, and the city has entrusted us with the keyboards.”

What could be the offense of using “brown bag” or “citizens,” especially having witness Mayor Mike McGinn’s special pleasure at the swearing in of new U.S. citizens at the Seattle Center on Independence Day.

“This issue came up in one of the departments and I thought I’d send it around as an fyi for your consideration.  We often use the expression ‘brown bag’ to designate a bring-your-own lunch time event.  We also use the word ‘citizens’ as a synonym for ‘residents.’

“Innocuous phrases, right?  Mm, not so much for. For some people, the phrase ‘brown bag’ calls up ugly associations with use of the expression ‘brown bag’ to determine if people’s skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event, a home, etc.

“‘Citizens’ is a different case:  We sometimes use it as another way of saying ‘members of the public’ — except for all the members of the public who aren’t actually citizens but who live and work here.”

Asked on Wednesday how the issue of ‘”brown bag” and “citizens” came up, Bronstein answered:  “Boy, I don’t remember who raised it.  It has come up now and again in the past.”

“The term ‘brown bag’ doesn’t bother everybody, but . . . there is a history behind use of it,” he added.  “It is something easy to correct because there are alternatives.”

In Bronstein’s view, there are “a lot of normal terms once used as ‘normal’ that are not used so much any more.”  He cited, as example, the term “gyp” as a synonym for an attempt to cheat someone.  “I never realized until recently that it was shorthand for ‘gypsy’.”

City government has rightfully embraced all those who live within boundaries of the Emerald City.  Indeed, the Mayor’s office has lately explored with King County the possibility of finding a way to give  “permanent residents” the right to vote in local and municipal elections.

Language DOES matter — witness the recent excesses of Rush Limbaugh and various Fox News hosts — but isn’t the Office for Civil Rights trolling the far parameters of political correctness?  With McGinn’s new emphasis on social justice as a prerequisite to right-of-way decisions, can businesses locating here expect to be asked to adopt the nomenclature of “Residents” rather than “Citizens”?

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM

link?  

The King County Library was using the term "brown bag" for their events this summer.  The memo was advisory back in 2013 not complusory.  

Quoting MrsHMS: It's on the Web page so clearly someone missed the memo so they had to send out a reminder. Also they can't say citizen. So you are going with brown bag us racist?
Quoting MissAndree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)